The Works Ministry said time is needed to repair the affected roads and slopes to ensure it’s safe for public use.
Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates.
The route along Jalan Batang Kali-Genting in Hulu Selangor will be closed for about a year before it can be reopened for public use after the deadly landslide last Friday (16 December 2022).
The Batang Kali landslide at Father’s Organic Farm campsite in Gohtong Jaya had claimed 24 lives, including the lives of children, with a search still underway for the missing bodies.
PENGUMUMAN— NADMA Malaysia (@mynadma) December 19, 2022
Terkini, berikut adalah senarai nama mangsa yang meninggal dunia dalam kejadian tanah runtuh di Jalan Genting Highland – Batang Kali
KEMENTERIAN KESIHATAN MALAYSIA pic.twitter.com/eKlXRMyNTA
According to New Straits Times, Works Ministry secretary-general, Datuk Wan Ahmad Uzir Wan Sulaiman, said it’ll take time to repair the affected roads and slopes.
Although the road is fine, we cannot risk opening it to the public until a new slope is made. This could take around a year.Works Ministry secretary-general, Datuk Wan Ahmad Uzir Wan Sulaiman
In the meantime, road users are advised to use alternative routes which will be announced by the Public Works Department (JKR) soon.
The ministry will also be conducting an in-depth study on slope management at the site once the ongoing search and rescue mission (SAR) concludes.
Sekitar pemandangan dari udara insiden tanah runtuh di tapak perkhemahan Father’s Organic Farm dekat jalan menghubungkan Batang Kali dengan Genting Highlands awal pagi tadi.— BERNAMA TV 🇲🇾 (@BernamaTV) December 16, 2022
Video: Bomba pic.twitter.com/Sw3ZJIOYWd
Ever since the Batang Kali landslide was reported, there had been rumours regarding the cause of the landslide.
Wan Ahmad Uzir said the incident wasn’t necessarily caused by road works or illegal diversion of water sources from the campsite.
He said natural causes may have been responsible since underground water flow was detected.
Currently, the ministry is in the process of identifying 1,045 slopes along federal roads which are at a high risk of collapse.
He added that developments are not allowed in these high-risk or red-zone areas.
Based on JKR’s statement dated 18 December, the ministry has implemented a few short-term precautionary measures such as covering the affected slopes with a tarpaulin sheet and channelling the water flow accordingly to prevent the water from flowing into the landslide areas.
The ministry has also installed tilt sensors to monitor the soil movements at the location.