Now Reading
Cops Nab Tuaran Man Who Went Viral For Alleged Sexual Harassment

Cops Nab Tuaran Man Who Went Viral For Alleged Sexual Harassment

The man tested positive for drugs and was in fact a mentally disabled patient who was recently discharged from a psychiatric hospital in Kota Kinabalu.

Subscribe to our Telegram channel or follow us on the Lumi News app for the latest stories and updates.

Recently, a woman was sexually harassed by a man at the staircase near her house in Tuaran last Saturday (24 June).

A video of the incident was caught on CCTV and went viral on social media. In the 35-second video, the man hugged the woman from behind violently as she struggled desperately on the stairs to escape his attack.

After a while, the man in a black shirt released her and fled down the stairs to escape.

Most videos regarding the incident have already been erased due to the victim’s family asking to delete them and not spreading them further to respect the victim’s privacy.

In another video the same day, a witness saw the same man in a black shirt entering her shop and allegedly nearly harassing her. She said that the man nearly reached for her phone as she quickly dodged it. She claimed he stuck his tongue out at her and then fled as another customer walked in.

She shared the encounter on her Facebook account, warning others to be aware of their surroundings and for cashiers to be extra careful.

Multiple victims

It turns out that on that day alone, from 1.30 pm to 4 pm, the man had allegedly sexually harassed 2 other victims and made off with their money.

Tuaran district police chief Noraindin Maidin said that the police received 3 reports from three different women aged between 15 and 31 years old a few hours after the alleged incidents.

Just within a day, the police successfully caught the perpetrator at 3 am on Sunday (25 June).

He was mentally ill

The 29-year-old suspect tested positive for drugs and police revealed that he has an OKU card stating he’s a person with a mental disability.

Based on their early investigation, the suspect was actually just released from a psychiatric hospital in Kota Kinabalu. He was released from Hospital Mesra Bukit Padang and was scheduled to receive weekly follow-up treatments at the hospital.

However, just as soon as he returned to Tuaran, three days after being discharged, he was suspected of being involved in multiple sexual harassment and theft cases.

The police advised the people of Tuaran not to panic as the suspect is mentally disabled and had been apprehended. He further advised the public to contact the police if similar incidents occur.

Share your thoughts with us via TRP’s FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.

Get more stories like this to your inbox by signing up for our newsletter.

© 2021 The Rakyat Post. All Rights Reserved. Owned by 3rd Wave Media Sdn Bhd