Now Reading
Two-Year-Old Confirmed As First Flood Casualty In Terengganu

Two-Year-Old Confirmed As First Flood Casualty In Terengganu

The family was about to move to the temporary evacuation centre when the incident happened.

Hakim Hassan

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates.


Police have confirmed that a two-year-old has been identified as the first fatality of the floods in Terengganu after the incident happened in Kampung Apal yesterday.

Bernama quoted Terengganu Police Chief Datuk Rohaimi Md Isa who mentioned the victim – Nur Hilwa Idris Mohd Haris Zaifan was found floating in a ditch about 20 meters from the house where the victim is said to have fallen at about 3.40pm yesterday.

He told the press that the incident was said to have happened when the victim’s aunt who was at home was preparing to move to the temporary evacuation center (PPS) due to rising water levels before discovering that the victim went out by herself through the kitchen door.

The victim then fell into the flood water before she was swept away by the current, he added.

The victim’s body was taken to Besut Hospital for further action, said Rohaimi who reminded the public to be more alert and cautious throughout this monsoon period.

Avoid small children playing in the water during the flood season because it endangers their lives. Parents and guardians need to play a role in order to be more careful and aware of the safety of children during the monsoon season.

Terengganu Police Chief Datuk Rohaimi Md Isa via Bernama

He also offered his condolences to the victim’s family while reminding parents to be vigilant, especially during the rainy season.

More than 11,000 affected so far

So far, around 11,415 flood victims have been evacuated to temporary evacuation centres in Terengganu as of 8 am this morning, based on reports from Berita Harian.

The floods have also affected the infrastructure in the state as 12 roads have been reportedly closed due to strong currents.

The Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia) in a statement also issued a warning of very heavy rain expected to continue until this Wednesday (December 21) throughout the states of Kelantan, Terengganu and Pahang involving Jerantut and Kuantan.


Share your thoughts with us via TRP’s FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.

© 2021 The Rakyat Post. All Rights Reserved. Owned by 3rd Wave Media Sdn Bhd