Now Reading
Malaysia-Singapore Cross Border Applications Open Starting 10 August, Here’s What You Need To Know

Malaysia-Singapore Cross Border Applications Open Starting 10 August, Here’s What You Need To Know

You can go to Singapore, but there’s terms and conditions.

Hakim Hassan

Subscribe to our new Telegram channel for the latest updates.

Starting 10 August, applications will be open for cross border travel between Malaysia and Singapore.

These are the ways how you can do so:

How to enter Singapore from Malaysia

Reciprocal Green Lane (RGL)

According to SafeTravel – a Singapore government agency – business or official travellers who want to travel via the Reciprocal Green Lane (RGL) from Malaysia must be sponsored by either a Singapore-based company or a Singapore Government agency.

These organisations will then file an application for a SafeTravel Pass.

Travellers would also need to produce these documents for pre-board checks:

  • A valid SafeTravel Pass approval letter (the date of entry into Singapore must fall within the period of entry stated in the letter);
  • A valid visa to enter Singapore (for visa-required passport holders who are short-term visitors to Singapore); and
  • A valid certificate of negative result for a Covid-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours before departure for Singapore from a laboratory accredited by the Ministry of Health.

Once arriving at the airport/land checkpoint in Singapore, travellers will undergo another PCR test.

At the immigration counter, they have to present a valid SafeTravel Pass, a valid visa (for visa-required passport holders), and a negative Covid-19 PCR test result.

If tested positive for the coronavirus there, the traveller will have to pay for the medical treatment.

They would also need to download TraceTogether app during their stay.

Periodic Commuting Arrangement (PCA)

It’s to allow entry via Johor-Singapore Causeway and Malaysia-Singapore Second Link.

Under the PCA, Malaysia Citizens and Permanent Residents (PRs) with valid Singapore work passes would have to stay in the country for at least 90 days before returning to Malaysia.

They can only exit via Woodlands Checkpoint or Tuas Checkpoint in Singapore.

Work pass holders have to serve at least 7-day Stay-Home Notice (SHN) and undertake a PCR test.

Singapore Citizens/PRs don’t need the PCA to return to Singapore but have to observe the Stay-Home Notice (SHN).

Employers can apply on behalf of their employees if they fulfil the following criteria:

  • Are a Malaysia Citizen / Permanent Resident.
  • Hold valid long-term passes for business and work purposes in Singapore.
  • Are willing to spend at least 90 days in Singapore for work upon entry.

They would also need to have these documents:

  • Employee’s FIN.
  • Expiry Date of Employee’s Work Pass.
  • Employee’s Intended Date of Entry into Singapore.
  • Address of Employee’s Accommodation to complete His/Her Stay-Home Notice (SHN).
  • Details of Contact Person in Company (e.g. Name, Mobile Number, Email Address)

Once there, employees have to:

  • Monitor their health status and refrain from travelling to Singapore if feeling unwell.
  • Ensure that they enter Singapore on their approved date as stated in their application and PCA approval email.
  • Ensure that they complete the electronic Health Declaration Card (eHDC)
  • Ensure that they download the TraceTogether, Homer and WhatsApp mobile applications on their mobile phone.
  • Bring along their passport and work pass when entering Singapore.

Those who receive their approvals can travel via personal transport, private buses that only ferry Malaysian passengers who will be serving SHN, or by foot.

How to travel from Singapore to Malaysia

Foreigners living in Singapore who want to enter Malaysia for a short period of time for official purposes and business dealings can do so through via RGL.

As for Singaporeans and PRs who have a Long Term Social Visit Pass (PLSJP) to work and conduct business can enter Malaysia through the Periodical Commuting Arrangement (PCA).

To use the RGL and PCA facilities, they can apply through the MyTravelPass (MTP) system starting 10 August:

Foreign visitors using PCA facility, their employers in the country need to make an application on their behalf through the MTP system.

Immigration Department (JIM) director-general Datuk Khairul Dzaimee Daud via Bernama

Share your thoughts with us on TRP’s FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.

View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

eleven − 8 =

© 2020 The Rakyat Post. All Rights Reserved.