She was with her father when her foot suddenly got stuck at the top of the escalator.
Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates.
A 4-year-old girl injured two toes on her left foot when it got stuck on an escalator in a supermarket in Kota Bharu, Kelantan, yesterday (7 January).
The incident at 12.30 pm was caught on video and posted to social media.
According to Kota Bharu police chief Superintendent Mohd Suhaimi Ali, the girl was on the escalator with her father when her foot suddenly got caught at the top of the escalator.
@brak_nanang Allahu🥺 #fypシ #fyp #tiktokviews #foryoupage #viral #kbmall #nazriehaikal ♬ original sound – Farhatul Fairuzah
According to Sinar Harian, the technical team of the supermarket and bystanders helped to stop the escalator.
After some time, they managed to free the girl and she was carried away by two adults who are believed to be her parents.
She was sent to Hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia, Kubang Kerian for treatment.
The police said the father lodged a police report at 5 pm on the same day.
Due to this incident, parents are once again reminded to keep a lookout for their children when the family uses the escalator.
Safety tips while using the escalator
Some netizens shared that they are still afraid of using the escalator in shopping malls although they’re adults now.
Fortunately, there are some safety tips shared online to help make taking the escalator safer.
Here’s what you should do when you’re going up or down on an escalator.
1. Hold the handrail to maintain balance and to make sure you don’t stumble in case the escalator comes to a sudden stop or lurch.
2. Keep away from the side brushes. The brushes at the sides of the escalators are not for cleaning your footwear. These brushes prevent users from getting too close to the sides. Since children feet are small, they can easily get stuck under the brushes.
3. Always face forward so you can see when you should be getting off the escalator. This is to prevent stumbles and falls, which can further harm the other people using the escalator.
4. Watch where you step. Remember to pick up your feet and step carefully on and off the escalator.
5. Never stand and linger at the end of the escalator. It’s best to exit promptly to make way for others behind you.
6. Make sure your clothes aren’t too long and wear proper footwear so they won’t get caught in the escalator. You don’t want to get stuck or trapped on the moving escalator.
7. In emergencies, remember to stop the escalator by hitting the Stop button. It’s usually a red button at the top or bottom of the escalator.
Hopefully, there will be lesser escalator mishaps and accidents in the future with these tips in mind. After all, practice makes perfect.