Boo! You cannot do it the other way around and it only works on some Samsung phones right now.
Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates.
Transferring WhatsApp chat history from an Android phone to another Android phone or from an iPhone to another iPhone is fairly simple. Just use the cloud (Google Drive or iCloud).
However, switching from an Android to an iPhone, or vice versa has always meant losing all your WhatsApp chats and starting over.
That’s why the ability to transfer chat history between the two big mobile OS has been one of the most requested features at WhatsApp.
Recently WhatsApp announced that you can now transfer your WhatsApp chat history from iPhones (iOS) to Android. But there’s a catch.
A One Way Journey
Right now the feature only works with iPhones and Samsung devices running Android 10 or higher
The process transfers the chat history (including voice messages, photos, and videos) from the iPhone to the Samsung phone. It does not work the other way around, and the process is not as simple as it should be.
You will need:
- Samsung SmartSwitch app version 18.104.22.168 or greater installed on your new device
- WhatsApp iOS version 22.214.171.124 or greater on your old device
- WhatsApp Android version 126.96.36.199 or greater on your new device
- USB-C to Lightning cable (or equivalent adapters)
- Use the same phone number on the new device as the old device.
- Your new Android device must be factory new or reset to factory settings.
Here’s how to do it:
- Turn on your Samsung and connect by cable to your iPhone when prompted.
- Follow the Samsung Smart Switch experience.
- When prompted, scan the QR code displayed on the new device using the iPhone’s camera.
- Tap Start on your iPhone and wait for the process to complete.
- Continue setting up your new Samsung.
- When you reach the home screen, open WhatsApp and log in using the same phone number used on your old device.
- Tap Import when prompted, and allow the process to complete.
- Finish activating your new device and you’ll see your chats waiting for you.
Remember: A copy of your data is still present on the iPhone until you reset it.
It Is Very Restrictive For Now
Although this method only works for transferring WhatsApp data from an iPhone to a Samsung phone, the folks at WhatsApp say that the feature will be available on more Android devices soon.
Hopefully, they will introduce a feature for people who are switching platforms the other way around as well.