“Wishing you a Merry Christmas from an appropriate distance” was a quote for Christmas 2020.
Last year, we were all put through our paces. It was tough for everyone to come to terms with the overwhelming conditions surrounding us, especially learning to truly live the new norm.
Perhaps the most significant change we saw was not financial worries or even having to wear a mask everywhere. Perhaps it was for the first time in our lives, our loved ones were out of reach. Festive seasons, like Christmas and Chinese New Year were grinded to a harsh halt with countless people unable to celebrate with their families. No fireworks lit up the sky, no laughter and warmth of loved ones to heal the soul. The holiday mood was taken from us all.
Derek Gan, an airline pilot, says the worst part of this pandemic wasn’t the lack of flights, but the one time of the year that brings his family and friends from across the nation together, was taken from him. “We all have rough days, weeks and months, but what makes it all bearable for me is remembering there’s always CNY. Last year we didn’t even have that.” he said. “Wishing Gong Xi Fa Cai- from an appropriate distance, didn’t feel right. Nothing felt right.” he expressed.
29 year old Vanessa also shared her dismay, saying, “My family and I normally travel back to Serian, Sarawak for Christmas. Now I feel I have taken for granted every last second of celebration. I miss my village longhouse, and all the village folk coming together as if we were actual family.”
Come on, folks. We are Malaysians! Malaysia Boleh! Haven’t we had enough of this plague of negativity hanging over our heads? Guinness gets that, and they certainly get us. In the spirit of going green (not like the hulk), the thoughtful peeps at Guinness say we get our St. Paddy’s on for a whole month! It’s time to breed positivity instead of sorrow, and give everyone that small win that we all so desperately need.
Guinness is ready to equip us with party kits to make our comeback more fun! These St. Paddy’s essentials are available for purchase at their outlets and on their platforms, throughout Penang and the Klang Valley. Share your story of missing a holiday or festive season on Guinness’ Facebook or Instagram. Every day, for 31 days, 5 winners will be bestowed with a Guinness party kit! (That’s a total of 35 people each week!)
To help lift spirits, here’s a little insider info on what you can get. Brace yourself for a sinful list of guilty pleasures that are sure to get you drooling!
By myBurgerLab X Tipsy Boar in Klang Valley
This heaven-sent burger hosts a Guinness-glazed lamb patty, embraced by julienne-fried potato crisps and watercress, enhanced with calamansi aioli sauce, Boursin garlic cheese, grilled jalapeno chaser, tomatoes, onions and mint sauce, held together with a fluffy bamboo green charcoal bun. The platter also comes with a side of curly fries and Guinness BBQ sauce dip!
Various combo packages include:
- Ala carte (1 burger + 1 fries): RM30
- One set (1 burger + 1 fries + 1 can of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout): RM38
- Three set bundle (3 burgers + 3 fries + 4 cans of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout): RM120
By Mish Mash in Penang
Feast your eyes on their “You Got Beef Burger”. It features a juicy beef patty brushed with homemade Guinness sauce, sauteed BBQ onions, cheese, mustard, mixed greens and a side of sidewinder chips. A set of 3 burgers, 3 fries and a 4-can pack of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is only RM128!
By Anniekins Cakehouse in Klang Valley
Craving something sweet? How about a moist Guinness chocolate cake with butter icing? We’re already in love! A set of 1 Guinness cake and a 4-can pack of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout comes at a mere RM170 throughout March!
by Cake By X in Penang
Up north, you are bestowed with a moist Guinness butter cake with chocolate ganache buttercream. That just has us lost for words! A Guinness cake and a 4-can pack of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout goes for RM148.
Guinness BBQ at Home
by Makhan By Kitchen Mafia
Remember the good ol’ days having BBQs with friends and family? Yes, Guinness thought of that too! Their Guinness BBQ at Home set consists of:
- Guinness coffee rub flank steaks
- Rosemary & basil pesto rub lamb chops
- Guinness-glazed hot wings
- Salmon, potato and peas puch
- Three cheese M&C
- St Patrick’s All Green Salad
Each BBQ set includes basic BBQ utensils, charcoal, fire starter and a tabletop BBQ pit, for only RM210. Best of all, it comes with 4 glasses of Guinness Draught in-store, or a 4-can pack of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout for delivery.
By Mish Mash in Penang
Mish Mash calls it “Gone Grillin” and their BBQ set comprises succulent cuts of pork belly with a side of Guinness-marinated chicken wings. Trust us, that is all you need for a hit BBQ! Similar to the Klang Valley kit, this set comes with basic BBQ utensils, charcoal, wood chips and a tabletop BBQ pit. 3 portions of each comes with a 4-can pack of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout for RM280!
by Coley in Klang Valley
Let’s put our glasses together in celebrating a month-long St Patrick’s Day! Guinness has 3 cocktails for you to enjoy:
- Rabbit’s Foot: Guinness Foreign Extra Reduction, earl grey tea, ginger, edible gold dust
- Golden Horseshoe: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, banana-infused Irish whiskey, dulce de leche, bitters, clarified milk, sea salt, edible gold dust
- Lucky Leche: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, dulce de leche, calcified milk, sea salt, edible gold dust
For only RM98 for a set of 3 cocktails, they are available both in-store and for delivery! (Price excluding 6%SST)
by Mish Mash in Penang
In Penang, wrap your fingers around the Guinness Espresso: a concentrate of Guinness to be mixed with house blend espresso and topped off with Guinness Foreign Extra Stout! A set of 4 alco-espresso with a 4-can pack of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout for RM100.
Guinness-Infused Ice Cream
by The Ice Cream Bar in Klang Valley
Beat the Malaysian heat with a sweet treat! (Yes the rhyme was intentional) There’s two Guinness-infused ice cream flavours, both for RM64:
- Patrick’s Treasure: Guinness cream + pistachio chocolate feuilletine
- Guinness Brownies: Guinness cream + brownies mix
Guess what? It’s also available via Grab!
by Three Tiers Ice Cream in Penang
Penang also has two flavours available, which come with a 4-can pack of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout for RM97. The flavours are:
- Leprechaun’s Bite: Guinness Stout ice cream with dark chocolate brownie completed with swirls of leprechaun magic
- The Pure Irishman: Reduced Guinness Stout mixed into Three Tiers’ ice cream base; creamy and malty with a distinct stout aftertaste
There’s Plenty to go Around!
If a mouth-watering list of dishes and desserts aren’t enough, Guinness has also released some limited edition tumblers for free with certain purchases! There are 3 designs to choose from, and plenty of places to get them!
- Pubs, bars, restaurants: Purchase one set of Guinness Draught or Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, get a free Guinness tumbler
- Coffee shops, food courts, Chinese restaurants: Purchase 3 big bottles of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout and get a free Guinness tumbler
- Hypermarkets/supermarkets: Purchase 2 4-can packs of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout and get a free Guinness tumbler
- Drinkies: Purchase 2 6-can packs or 1 24-can pack of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout and get a free Guinness tumbler
- 7-11, KK Mart, MyNews: Purchase RM20 worth of Guinness products and stand a chance to win a set of Guinness tumblers
- Happy Fresh: Purchase 2 4-can packs of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout and get a free Guinness tumbler
- Shopee: Purchase 2 6-can packs or 1 24-can pack of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout and get a free Guinness tumbler
Together with Guinness, let’s turn those frowns upside down, paint the town green or whatever floats your boat! Say no to sadness, say no to despair and celebrate for all we’ve missed out on right HERE! It’s time for us to take back our joy, and take back our cheer!
Guinness and all its promotions are available to non Muslims above the age of 21. Always remember to party safe, and abide by the current MCO SOPs.