Parents shared their scary experiences and close calls too.
Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates.
It’s good to encourage curiosity in young children. However, they must still be supervised by adults at all times to prevent accidents.
An ENT doctor named Dr Mohd Shaiful recently advised parents to keep a close eye on their children especially if there are small objects around.
A 7-year-old child was brought into the emergency room because they accidentally swallowed a 50 cent coin.
The first thing Dr Mohd Saiful was worried about was whether the coin was stuck in the respiratory airway.
Fortunately, the x-ray done by the medical officer showed that the coin was lodged in the oesophagus instead.
If it was stuck in the airway, it could be dangerous for the child because he might not be able to breathe and that could lead to death.
JIKA SILAP MASUK SALURAN, BOLEH MEMBAWA MAUT!!!— Dr Mohd Shaiful Nizam | Epul | (@Dr_Shaiful) March 27, 2022
Ini cerita OnCall di malam tadi. seminggu sebelum menjelang RAMADAN.
Ikuti bebenang ini 👇 pic.twitter.com/8hhHzhLwKh
After putting the child under general anaesthesia, Dr Mohd Shaiful managed to extract the coin from the oesophagus of the child without any complications.
He said that it was the biggest coin value he has removed from young children. Previously, he had to remove 10 and 20 cent coins from other children.
Alhamdulillah. Duit syiling 50sen berjaya dikeluarkan.— Dr Mohd Shaiful Nizam | Epul | (@Dr_Shaiful) March 27, 2022
UNTUK REKOD, INI ADALAH NILAI SYILING TERBESAR BUAT SAYA SELAMA MENGELUARKAN DUIT SYILING PESAKIT SEBELUM2 INI.
(Kebanyakan sebelum ini adalah nilai 10 sen & 20 sen) pic.twitter.com/9A2tXupkfI
Advice for parents
Due to these recurring incidents, he has a few pieces of advice for parents:
- Avoid giving small toys to children that are prone to putting items into their mouths.
- Don’t teach children magic tricks, especially tricks concerning disappearing items in the mouth.
- Avoid joking around when there are items in the children’s mouths.
If the child accidentally swallowed a foreign object, take them to the hospital immediately. Some of the choking signs are sudden vomiting or the child reaching into their mouth with their hand.
It happens more often than we think
A netizen noted that it was, fortunately, a new 50 cent coin because the old coin was larger in size.
nasib baik 50sen baru kalau yang lama aduhai beso— Aiiman Makruf (@aimanmakruf) March 28, 2022
Based on several comments, it seems like it happens to children more often than we think with several parents sharing what they went through.
Fortunately, their children were safe and the foreign objects were able to be removed fairly easily (and naturally).
Hari tu anak sy umur 3 thn trtelan mainan kecik (plastik). Sy perhatikan mainan tu terus masuk saluran pemakanan n dia xde tunjuk tanda2 tercekik jadi sy biarkan je n lepas 2 hari mainan tu keluar bersama 💩 😂😂— cahaya (@Nurhafi25887429) March 28, 2022
Ank sy tertelan 10sen. Waktu tu pkp mmg susah parents nk masuk. Memandangkn wktu tu sy sarat mgandung n ank sulong pn xde yg jga. Sy call biras sy doc tnya pndapat mcm mana. Dia ckp bg mkn byk2 nti njis kuar tgk ada x duit tu. Malam esokkn tu alhmdulillah kluar jgak syiling tu 🤲🏻— Miss HoneyDew (@mashimasitah) March 28, 2022
However, one of the parents had a close call and their experience showed that it was important to watch the child closely.
Her husband noticed their child inserting a foreign object into their mouth and he quickly dug it out. The parents had no idea where their child found the 20 cent coin in the car.
paling takut kalau jadi dekat anak. tapi haritu hampir hampir anak nak telan duit 20sen, nasib husband nampak dia macam masukkan something dalam mulut, terus korek mulut dia 😂 time tu dalam kereta, ntah macam mana dia jumpa syiling tu taktahu laaa— queen.4sha_ 👑 (@ashaladin_) March 29, 2022
Hopefully, all of the stories shared by parents will remind other parents that they can never be too careful and they should heed Dr Mohd Shaiful’s advice.