There are also specific SOPs for K. Lumpur, Selangor, Johor, Perak and P. Pinang.
Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates.
For your convenience, we’ve been translating to English the standard operating procedures (SOPs) released by the National Security Council (MKN).
This translation is provided “As Is” so please refer to the original document in Bahasa Malaysia (linked at the bottom) where necessary.
Do note that the changes from previous SOP have been marked with ** and italicised.
**State/District/Mukim declared by the government from time to time.
**Based on dates announced by the government from time to time.
- The allowed economic sector
- Buying/obtaining goods or necessities
- Obtaining medical treatment or medicine
- Conducting official government and judicial duties
List of Activities that are NOT ALLOWED
- Cross-district movement in MCO areas and other interstate travel without the permission of PDRM.
- Movement in and out MCO area without permission from PDRM.
Activities classified under the Negative List
- Reflexology centres and spas.
- Activities in nightclubs or pubs.
- Activities at theme parks, indoor playgrounds, family karaoke, and movie theatres.
- **All sports and recreational activities that are listed as NOT ALLOWED in the General Sports and Recreation sector SOPs by Ministry of Youth and Sports (KBS).
- Tourism activities outside/into the MCO area and in the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) area.
- Overseas tourism activities by citizens and domestic tourism activities involving foreign tourists entering Malaysia except for foreign tourists from countries as stated by the Minister.
- Any activity that could cause many people to be present at the same time which complicates physical distancing and compliance with the instructions of the Director-General of Health.
- Other matters decided by the government from time to time.
- The Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM) is responsible for implementing control over local infected areas with help from the Malaysian Army, Malaysia Civil Defence Force (APM), and RELA.
- The entrance and exit of the MCO area are closed and entry is controlled by PDRM.
- No interstate or inter-district travel (based on district boundaries set by the state government).
- The number of passengers in a private vehicle is according to the capacity of the vehicle for obtaining healthcare or medical services, groceries, medicine, dietary supplements, basic and daily necessities in the same district or the nearest district if the supply of such necessities is not available in the area.
- The number of people allowed in the vehicle carrying goods as well as the chain of economic/industrial activities depends on the registration license.
- The movement of private vehicles, government departments, or private companies for the purpose of going to and from a place of work or carrying on official government affairs is dependent on the seating capacity of the vehicle.
- The movement of public and private operations and services is dependent on the capacity of the vehicle.
- All pupils/students of educational institutions are allowed to attend educational institutions across the MCO area or Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) or Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) areas according to the school calendar set by the Ministry of Education (MOE) with confirmation documents from MOE and round trips can be accompanied by parents/guardians. However, this permission is subject to the Department of Health’s risk assessment by the state government and the latest announcements by MOE.
- Movement of teachers/lecturers/instructors for teaching and learning purposes is allowed at schools/educational institutions with confirmation from MOE or the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE).
- Matriculation colleges are allowed during the MCO period.
- Students in boarding schools/universities/institutions are allowed to be in the boarding school/university/institution and continue hybrid learning.
- International examinations and professional bodies, as well as research activities that require laboratory facilities in Institutions of Higher Learning (IPT), are allowed in accordance with the SOP of the IPT and accompanied by the necessary movement confirmation by the MOHE or the relevant IPT.
- Movement for the admission of students to hostels for examination classes set by the MOE and MOHE is allowed with confirmation given from MOE and MOHE.
- Students need to obtain a movement permit letter to travel across state or district borders to return to campus from the IPT.
- Repatriation of students who are in the hostel is in stages according to the decision of the State Education Department. Cross-district movement for this purpose is permitted by a permission letter from MOE/MOHE/IPT.
- Movement for admission of students to dormitories for prescribed examination classes by MOE and MOHE is allowed with confirmation from MOE and MOHE.
- Students of hostels/educational institutions who are in the EMCO area are not allowed to return home.
- Movement in and out of MCO area for emergency cases such as death is allowed after obtaining permission from PDRM.
- Movement in/in and out of the MCO area for emergencies such as natural disasters is allowed.
- Disaster/humanitarian aid movements by NGOs need to get permission from State Disaster Management Committee or District Disaster Management Committee in the area affected by the disaster and such assistance is channeled through the Disaster Operations Control Center (PKOB) in the area.
- Cross-state permits are allowed for long-distance married couples by obtaining permission from PDRM.
- State Assemblymen and Members of Parliament are allowed to cross their respective districts and states during the MCO period for the purpose of official business or visiting consitutencies.
- The PCA and RGL between Malaysia and Singapore are based on agreements made by the two countries.
- Movement for short-term business visitors under the approval of the One Stop Center Initiative (OSC) for official/business purposes is allowed after obtaining permission from PDRM.
- Individuals who need to travel inter-district and interstate for the purpose of Covid-19 vaccination outside the area of residence are allowed by showing the details of the appointment on the MySejahtera application, website, or SMS.
- Other movements permitted in this SOP.
Activities in the MCO area
- Restaurants, shops / food stalls, food trucks, roadside hawkers, street hawkers, food courts / hawker centers, roadside food stalls / kiosks are ALLOWED to operate between 6.00 am to 10.00 pm. Premises are allowed to operate until 12.00 midnight (during the month of Ramadan only).
- Food selling activities are allowed by take-home, drive-thru or delivery from 6:00 am to 10.00 pm. The activity is allowed to operate until 12.00 midnight (during the month of Ramadan only).
- Dine-in is not allowed during the MCO period.
- Grocery stores and convenience stores are allowed to operate between 6:00 am to 12:00 midnight or according to the terms of the license (whichever is earlier).
- Hospitals, clinics, and medical laboratories can operate for up to 24 hours or according to the authorized license to operate.
- The pharmacy can operate from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm.
- Daily necessities stores can operate from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm.
- Petrol stations can operate from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm except for those on the highway which can operate up to 24 hours.
- Daily markets, farmers markets, public markets, and weekly markets can operate from 7:00 am to 2:00 pm.
- Wholesale markets can operate from 12:00 am to 6:00 am and from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- Night markets can operate from 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm in compliance with SOPs and supervision of the People’s Volunteer Corps (RELA) or local authority members.
- Aidilfitri Bazaar can operate from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm in compliance with SOPs and supervision of the authorities and members of RELA/local authorities.
- Ramadan Bazaars can operate from 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm in compliance with SOPs with supervision by the authorities and members of RELA/local authorities. However, the decision to continue or close the operation of Bazar Ramadaan, Bazar Aidilfitri, and night markets is subject to the authority of the state government through the local authority.
- Clinics and pet food outlets are allowed to operate from 6.00 am to 10.00 pm.
- Laundromats, eyewear shops, car wash centres, barbershops, and salons (barber services only) are allowed to operate from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm.
- Self-service dobbies must ensure that employees are at the premise to ensure compliance with the prescribed SOPs.
- Other activities approved by the Ministry/government agency/local authority are allowed to operate from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm.
Operating and movement permission for public and private services
- All economic and business sectors approved by the relevant Ministries/ Agencies can operate during the MCO period.
- The movement of employees is subject to a registration/approval letter and employee pass/employer confirmation letter.
- The movement of official government affairs must be accompanied by the employer’s confirmation document.
- Attendance capacity for public service employees is based on Department Circulars/Public Service Department (JPA).
- For the private sector, it’s based on 30% for the Management Group, and the number of operating/support employees is set by the employer.
General health protocols
- Licensees and premises owners ensure control of customer entry and exit to the premises with physical distancing of 1 meter.
- Hand sanitizers are to be provided at the entrance and their use is ensured before entering.
- Licensees and premises owners are required to provide a MySejahtera QR code and provide a customer attendance registration book.
- The use of the MySejahtera application is mandatory in areas of widespread internet access. Exceptions are granted for areas that do not have internet access, especially in rural areas.
- Licensees and premises owners are to ensure that customers check in the premises using MySejahtera or manually write the name and phone number if there is no internet coverage.
- Customers/visitors are required to check-in with MySejahtera or write their name and number manually before entering the premises.
- For shopping complexes/supermarkets/department stores, customers only need to run body temperature scans only once at the entrance of the complex and not at every business premise.
- Body temperatures above 37.5 degrees Celsius are NOT ALLOWED to enter the complex and premises.
- The owners of complexes and premises need to ensure only customers who are “Low Risk” in MySejahtera are allowed to enter the complex/premises.
- Children aged 12 and under are NOT ENCOURAGED to be in public places and facilities except for emergency, treatment and educational purposes.
- Licensees and premises owners limit the number of customers on the premises based on the physical distance of a 1-meter radius.
- Each premise must display the total number of customers allowed at a time. Using a queue number system is encouraged for customers entering from premises.
- Employees, suppliers, and customers are required to wear face masks properly in accordance with MOH recommendations while on the premises.
- Ensure good ventilation and ventilation systems in the premises.
- It is mandatory to wear a face mask especially when in crowded public places EXCEPT for activities and places as follows:
- Own residence and involve household members
- Hotel Room/Paid Accommodation Alone and involving members of the household
- Solitary workspace
- Indoor and outdoor sports & recreation activities
- Own vehicle and involve household members
- Indoor / outdoor public areas and places without other individuals
- When eating and drinking in public without any other individual
Face-to-face meetings of government and private agencies involving the presence of representatives of outside agencies are NOT ALLOWED and must be performed via video conference instead.
- Islamic religious activities such as Friday prayers and congregational prayers at the mosque/surau, lectures, marriages, and funerals are PERMITTED in accordance with the ruling of the State Religious Authority.
- Non-Muslim House of Worship activities are PERMITTED and are subject to the conditions set by the Ministry of National Unity.
- Islamic wedding ceremonies (Akad nikah) in Religious Departments and mosques are PERMITTED with attendance in accordance with the ruling of the State Religious Authority.
- For marriage registration for non-Muslims at the National Registration Department (JPN), Houses of worship and religious associations are PERMITTED with the attendance according to the conditions set by the NRD.
Day Care Centers, Child Care Centers, Nurseries and Kindergartens
- Childcare centers, nurseries, and kindergartens are allowed to operate with the permission of the relevant Ministries/Agencies.
- Parents/guardians who send children to childcare are allowed to use a vehicle with the allowed number of child passengers according to the capacity of the vehicle.
- Daycare centres for the Disabled (OKU), Senior Citizens, Women and other care centres are allowed to operate during the MCO period.
**Sports and Leisure Activities
- Sports and recreational activities are subject to the General SOP of the PKP Sports and Recreation Sector by the Ministry of Youth and Sports.
** Tourism and Cultural Activities
The following activities are NOT ALLOWED to operate during the MCO period:
- Public tourist attraction products such as zoos, farms, aquariums, edutainment centers and others;
- Premises of art, culture and heritage such as museums, libraries, art galleries, centers/cultural heritage art villages, cultural performance stages, etc;
- Theme Parks, Family Entertainment Centres, indoor playgrounds and family karaoke.
- Government and Private Formal and Informal Councils, Social Councils such as feasts, ceremonies wedding, engagement, wedding ceremony, reception, aqiqah ceremony, doa selamat, tahlil, birthday celebration, birthday celebration, reunion, retreat, and other social events are NOT ALLOWED.
- Face-to-face meetings of government and private agencies involving the presence of representatives of external agencies are NOT ALLOWED and can be done by video conference.
- Seminars/ Workshops/ Courses/ Training/Conferences/Talks/Exhibitions or Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions (MICE) are NOT ALLOWED.
- Recording activities for music, concerts, filming, talk shows, and the like is ALLOWED for indoor recording (studio) but RESTRICTED in the MCO area only with a minimal number of crew and WITHOUT AN AUDIENCE as well as complying with Creative Industry SOPs.
- Indoor busking activities in building premises, cafes, food courts, and non-open locations are ALLOWED.
- Driving Institutes and Flight Training Centers are allowed to operate during the MCO period based on SOPs provided by the Ministry of Transport.
- Fishing activities are allowed to operate during the PKP period based on the SOP provided by the Department of Fisheries Malaysia.
- Other matters decided by the government from time to time.
For more information, you can take a look at the official SOPs in Bahasa Malaysia, or check out the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases (Measures within Infected Local Areas) (Movement Control) Regulations 2021.
You can find the complete list of MCO SOPs on the MKN website here.
Unkempt in both stories and appearance, Hakim loves tech but tech left him on read, previously he used to write about tall buildings and unoccupied spaces that he can't afford, and legend has it that he still can't afford it to this day