During the festive season, youâ€™ll often see and hear firecrackers set alight to celebrate the holidays.
Although they are fun to look at as they brighten up the night sky with colourful patterns, firecrackers can be dangerous.
Recently a man tragically slipped and fell onto some mercun that he had ignited. He suffered serious injuries all over his body and face and later died at the hospital after succumbing to his injuries.
According to regulations, the government does not allow any form of ignitable explosive firecrackers or fireworks except the brand Happy Boom and Pop-pop.
However, the ignition of pyrotechnics is allowed during formal government events and concerts as well as events which have been approved by the Minister of Home Affairs and Internal Security.
Since fireworks and firecrackers can be illegally bought almost anywhere these days even with the current regulations, we’ve decided to share some safety measures to keep in mind if you find yourself with a collection of fireworks.
Here are some precautions :
- Never try to make your own fireworks.
- Always use fireworks outside your home and have a bucket of water and a hose nearby in case of accidents.
- Steer clear of others setting off fireworks. They can backfire or shoot off in the wrong direction.
- Never throw or point fireworks at someone, even as a joke.
- Don’t hold fireworks in your hand or have any part of your body over them while lighting.
- Wear eye protection
- Don’t carry fireworks in your pocket â€” the friction could set them off.
- Point fireworks away from homes, and keep away from brush and leaves and flammable substances.
- Light one firework at a time (not in glass or metal containers), and never relight a dud.
- Don’t allow kids to pick up pieces of fireworks after an event. Some may still be ignited and can explode at any time.
- Soak all fireworks in a bucket of water before throwing them in the trash can.
- Think about your pet. Animals have sensitive ears and can be very frightened or stressed by the Fourth of July and other big celebrations. Keep pets indoors to reduce the risk that they’ll run loose or get injured.
If accidents do happen where you or your loved ones are injured by fireworks, immediately go to a doctor or hospital.
In the case of eye injuries, do take note of these measures :
- Don’t touch or rub your eyes, this may cause even more damage.
- Don’t flush the eye out with water or try to put any ointment on it.
- Cut out the bottom of a paper cup, place it around the eye, and get medical care right away.
In the event where someone is burned, remove clothing from the burned area, call the doctor immediately or go to the nearest clinic or hospital.
Do keep everybody in the vicinity of the firework as safe as possible or better yet, don’t light any up as most of them are illegal and may harm you or your loved ones.
Unkempt in both stories and appearance, Hakim loves tech but tech left him on read, previously he used to write about tall buildings and unoccupied spaces that he can't afford, and legend has it that he still can't afford it to this day