Now Reading
UPDATE: Bodies of father and son who fell into Muar river, found

UPDATE: Bodies of father and son who fell into Muar river, found

[UPDATE] The bodies of the two victims who were swept away by the Muar river in Johor on Monday (July 1) have both been found.

Search-and-rescue personnel recovered the lifeless body of the 7-year-old boy about a kilometer away from where he had originally fallen into the river, near Marina Bay at around 2 pm yesterday.

Rescue personnel carefully moving the body of 7-year-old Muhammad Faqih Mohd Fairuz
(Image Credit:
Berita Harian)

While the father was later found by locals near a fishing village some seven kilometers away at around 7.30am today.

The remains of Lans Corporal Mohd Fairuz being taken away by authorities
(Image Credit:
Berita Harian)

Both father and son were feared to have drowned in the Muar river after an incident that occurred late Monday afternoon.


It was reported that the 36-year-old Lans Corporal had jumped into the river in a daring attempt to rescue his son who had fallen and carried away by the river’s current.

Accounts say that the child had been playing on a nearby jetty with two of his siblings when he suddenly slipped and fell into the water.

The boys were apparently running a quick errand together with their father when the tragedy happened.

Banks of the Muar river
(Picture Credit:
Google Maps)

The father was said to have tried desperately to save his child, unfortunately, both were carried away by the river’s high tide and strong currents.


A search-and-rescue operation was immediately dispatched to
the area in hopes to find the two victims.

The operation which involved the cooperative efforts of the Muar district police, Maritime Malaysia, Bomba, and the Malaysian Civil Defence Force ended at 10 am this morning.

In a separate incident, tragedy befell a family in Kuala Kangsar, Perlis when a 2-year-old boy died after falling into a decorative pond during a Hari Raya open house, last weekend.


According to police, the toddler had been playing unsupervised during the incident.

Apparently, the children were left to their own devices,
playing outside while the parents were all inside the house.

(Picture Credit: Image by Joseph Samson via Pixabay)

The boy was found by a relative faced down in two feet of water.

He was quickly rushed to the hospital, but unfortunately died while getting treatment.

Police are currently investigating the incident under Section
31 (1) (a) of the Child Act 2001 for negligence, which may carry a jail term of
up to 10 years or a fine of up to RM20,000, or both.

© 2024 The Rakyat Post. All Rights Reserved. Owned by 3rd Wave Media Sdn Bhd