Now Reading
Terengganu Flood Traps Grandparents At Home With Only A Lit Candle

Terengganu Flood Traps Grandparents At Home With Only A Lit Candle

The elderly couple couldn’t be rescued from their home in Besut, Terengganu, due to the strong water current.

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates.

Free Malaysia Today reported that the floods in areas such as Terengganu and Kelantan have worsened.

READ MORE: The Deaths Of 3 Sisters In Kelantan Flood Brings Forth Painful Safety Reminders

Over in Terengganu, the number of flood victims increased sharply to 37,792 from 26,494 people recorded last night (19 December).

Kemaman is reportedly the worse-affected district with 12,000 victims, followed by Besut (8,228), Hulu Terengganu (6,691), Setiu (3,988), Dungun (2,484), Kuala Nerus (1,521), Kuala Terengganu (1,900), and Marang (980).

There seems to be no let-up in the flooding situation since it was still raining in many parts of Terengganu in the morning.

A Twitter netizen, Aisya Nabila (@aisyanabila4), called for help from the public to rescue her grandparents who live in Besut.

Both of her grandparents were trapped in their flooded home with only a lit candle as their source of light.

On 19 December 2022 around 11.12pm, Aisya wrote that the water current got stronger and the candle was still alight. She asked the public to pray that her grandparents were safe.

At 1.10am (20 December), someone went over to the flooded home to check on her grandparents but they received no answer. They tried throwing stones at the house to call attention but did not receive a reply.

Aisya said she contacted the flood relief centres but did not find her grandparents there. During that time, she was worried about their whereabouts because she didn’t know if they were rescued or still stuck in the house.

Another netizen called the firefighters and APM Jerteh for help but was informed that the rescuers had a hard time getting to Aisya’s grandparents due to the strong water current.

They managed to get close to Aisya’s grandparents’ home but weren’t able to safely navigate the strong currents to get them out.

Fortunately, Aisya said the water levels were receding and her grandparents seemed to be safe despite not getting rescued in a tweet posted at 8.40am on 20 December.

Aisya also thanked everyone who tried their best to help her grandparents.

Share your thoughts with us via TRP’s FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.

Get more stories like this to your inbox by signing up for our newsletter.

© 2024 The Rakyat Post. All Rights Reserved. Owned by 3rd Wave Media Sdn Bhd