Now Reading
Police Arrest Puchong Man Over Death Threats Against Chief Justice, Remanded 4 Days

Police Arrest Puchong Man Over Death Threats Against Chief Justice, Remanded 4 Days

The 30-year-old man in Puchong was arrested on Friday, 19 August 2022, around 11.15pm.

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates.

Chief Justice Tun Tengku Maimun Tuan Mat recently received threats from a Twitter user online and the matter went viral.

READ MORE: IGP Orders Investigations On Online Threats Against Chief Justice, Says PDRM Will Not Tolerate On Security Matters

She received another threat on Facebook from a user named Apiez Bond. Apiez threatened the Chief Justice not to punish the guilty party, or she’ll face the consequences.

If you’re not careful, a hired assassin will kill you. The wrong should be punished, the innocent ones should be freed. Najib’s lawyer wanted to give an analysis document so you can differentiate which is wrong and which is right.

The threat on Facebook by Apiez Bond in the comment section of an UMNO Online FB page.
Screenshot of the threat on Facebook. Image: Buzzkini

According to Malay Mail, the threats against the Chief Justice were due to her decision not to allow the lawyers for former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak more time for his final appeal hearing at the Federal Court.

Najib had been found guilty of one count of abuse of power, three counts of criminal breach of trust, and three counts of money laundering.

Netizens call for an investigation

After the potential threat was issued, netizens urged the authorities to investigate Apiez Bond for threatening the Chief Justice in public.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Acryl Sani instructed the Crime Division (JSJ) to investigate the issue.

The police managed to arrest a 30-year-old man at a home in Puchong, Selangor, on Friday (19 August) around 11.15pm to assist in the investigation.

Bukit Aman Corporate Communications head Asst Comm Skandaguru Anandan said the police confiscated a handphone and a SIM card they believed used to send the threats.

The suspect is remanded for four days from 20 to 23 August 2022.

He’s charged under Section 4(1) of the Sedition Act 1948 for producing discourse deemed seditious, Section 506 of the Penal Code for criminal intimidation, and Section 233 of the Multimedia and Communications Act for improper use of network facilities to threaten.

Police view the matter seriously and will not compromise on any criminal actions or issues that can disrupt public peace.

Police said in the statement.

Share your thoughts with us via TRP’s FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.

Get more stories like this to your inbox by signing up for our newsletter.

© 2024 The Rakyat Post. All Rights Reserved. Owned by 3rd Wave Media Sdn Bhd