The woman in her 30s was driving her car from Kuala Perlis heading to Kangar when the vehicle spontaneously went ablaze in an incident at about 8am earlier today.
Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates.
A woman escaped unhurt after a Proton Waja that she is driving suddenly went ablaze in an incident at Kuala Perlis earlier today, reported Berita Harian.
According to Kangar district police chief ACP Yusharifuddin Mohd Yusop, a woman, in her 30s, was driving the vehicle on Jalan Marhom Kayang, near Kampung Tok Kuning in Kuala Perlis heading towards Kangar when the car suddenly caught on fire.
“Suddenly there’s smoke coming out of her car with fire emerging (after that) causing her to stop her car beside the road in order to save herself.
“The firemen were called to help contain the fire and there was no casualty reported,” he was quoted as saying by the Malay daily.
The incident was also caught on camera and had since made its rounds on social media.
Meanwhile, a spokesperson of the Perlis Malaysian Fire and Rescue Department (JBPM) said that five JBPM members from the Kuala Perlis Fire and Rescue Station were rushed to the scene after the department was notified of the incident at 8.06am.
“We found that the fire destroyed 95% of the car and we used two streams of hose reel connected to the fire engine to put out the fire.
“The fire was successfully put out at 8.18 am and the cause of the incident is still being investigated,” he said.
What should you do if your car suddenly caught on fire:
- Slow down your vehicle and stop at the side of the road
- Turn off the car’s engine in order not to further spread the fire
- Pull the handbrake so that your vehicle would not move, causing further mishaps and endanger other road users
- Cover your mouth and nose in order not to inhale hazardous fumes from the fire
- Exit the car swiftly and stay away from the burning vehicle
- Call the emergency hotline to get assistance
- Don’t go back to get your personal belongings
- Only proceed to put out the fire if you have managed to locate the source.