Now Reading
“He Became Too Weak” British Diver Adrian Chesters Confirms 14YO Son Died Of Exhaustion

“He Became Too Weak” British Diver Adrian Chesters Confirms 14YO Son Died Of Exhaustion

In a turn of unfortunate events, the body of the teenager is believed to have floated into Indonesian waters.

Adeline Leong

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates.

Adrian Chesters, the father of the missing 14-year-old diver, Nathan Renze Chesters, confirmed that his son has died.

According to Malay Mail, Chesters said his son became too weak to hold out and died of exhaustion while they were adrift.

Chesters relayed this information to the authorities after he was rescued, together with a French diver Alexia Molina yesterday, 9 April.

READ MORE: 2 Divers Found Safe Off Johor Coast, 14YO Diver Is Still Missing

(L-R) Adrian Chesters, Kristine Grodem and Alexia Molina were found safe. Chesters confirmed that his 14-year-old son Nathan Chesters did not survive. Image: Utusan

The Star reported that the authorities believed the body had floated into the Indonesian waters.

In light of this information, the Johor Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) called off Op Carilamat at 1.30pm, following the rescue of Adrian Chesters and Alexia Molina.

The Marine Rescue Sub Centre (MRSC) Johor Baru has informed the Indonesian authorities to assist in the search for Nathan.

The boat operator who took the group to the dive site was detained after testing positive for drugs on 6 April.

According to New Straits Times, the boat operator tested positive for methamphetamine.

The police will investigate the captain’s case under Section 15(1) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952.

They’ll also investigate whether there’s an issue of negligence during the dive once the victims have recovered and are in a stable condition.

Yes, we will investigate various aspects, including if there was negligence in the way the training was conducted, and whether the training session had complied with regulations or existing standard operating procedures.

Johor police chief Datuk Kamarul Zaman Mamat, as quoted by Malay Mail.

What happened on Wednesday, 6 April?

Norwegian master diver Kristine Grodem led Adrian Chesters, Nathan Renze Chesters and Alexia Alexandra Molina on an advanced open water scuba diving course.

They were diving off Pulau Tokong Sanggul, near Pulau Sibu. After resurfacing on the second dive, they were pulled away from each other by strong currents.

Grodem was the first diver to be found. She was spotted by a tugboat crew and rescued on Thursday, 7 April.

READ MORE: Divers Missing Off Johor Coast, 1 Found 20 Hours Later, 3 Still Missing

Share your thoughts with us on TRP’s FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.

© 2021 The Rakyat Post. All Rights Reserved. Owned by 3rd Wave Media Sdn Bhd