The event will showcase arts ranging from music, dances, theatre, film, photography and more.
Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates.
So, what’s in store for July? Feeling like you’re going to be bored next month? Don’t worry, Penang has a lot to offer you!
Head on over to Georgetown, Penang and experience the 16-day fest called George Town Festival while you’re at it!
What Is It?
George Town Festival (GFT) is an annual cultural festival combining various artistic performances such as dance, music, theatre, film, photography and more in Georgetown, Penang.
This year marks the 13th year this fest is held, which initially started in 2010 in honour of the city’s designation as a UNESCO World Heritage site. The main aim behind this fest is to make art accessible to everyone, regardless of age, ethnicity or background. Arts from creative talents are showcased in multiple venues across Georgetown and beyond, from indoor performing spaces to hidden spots and unique settings.
The George Town Festival’s continuous efforts to promote the arts are one of theChow Kon Yeow, Penang Chief Minister
reasons Penang has made significant strides in the global arts scene;
CNN Travel dubbed GTF as ‘Best of Penang rolled up in one big festival’ while The New York Times reviewed it as a ‘festival growing into a major Asian arts event’.
Programmes They’re Having
From 9 to 24 July, there will be a plethora of programmes being held in multiple places across Goerge Town and beyond.
Around 70% of the festival’s programmes are free to attend while a few are ticketed. Here are some of the programmes for you to check out.
Free To Attend Activities
- Angin OMbulan – Contemporary version of Malay traditional healing performances inspired by Main Puteri and Mak Yong (creepily interesting stuff here).
- SERENITY – A Glimpse Through the Traditional Lenses – A screening session, performance and brief workshop combining traditional art forms with present-day dance.
- G-Short 2022 Finalists Film Screening – Screening 90-second films (short films) from finalists selected from 69 countries
- Cahaya XR: First Edition – Art exhibition on Penang’s traditional stories and heritage through virtual, augmented and mixed reality
- Art Masterclasses – 2-hour summer school classes on music, being a voiceover artist and writing about photography, taught by experts in their fields
- The Senses – A rainforest concert starring Alena Murang, FAZZ and Jumero at Penang Hill’s Curtis Crest
- Mozart at the Mansion – Mozart masterpieces performed by talented opera singers at the Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion (The Blue Mansion)
- Ibu – Teochew puppet theatre performance telling a Southeast Asian folklore
- Teater Tradisional Makyung ‘Dewa Indera Indera Dewa’ – Almost extinct Malay traditional performance telling the story of sibling rivalry between princes for the hand of a beautiful princess
These are just some of the activities. There are tons more!
Tickets for these programmes are available now here. Ticketed performances are approximately 30% to 50% less expensive than comparable titles elsewhere, so you get to witness exclusive artistic shows at affordable rates. Book your tickets now for a FUNtastic art experience in July!
Georgetown itself is a fantastic place to visit, full of attractions, so don’t worry, we guarantee your weekend won’t be bored if you visit Penang for the George Town Fest. Additionally, here are a few articles for you to browse while in Penang.