Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates.
Senior Minister (Security) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob today announced the list of 17 essential service sector businesses that are permissible during the total lockdown starting on June 1.
- Food and drink. Including for pets.
- Healthcare and medical. Including dietary supplements.
- Animal care and veterinary.
- Safety and security. Including defence, charity, humanitarian, and emergency services.
- Solid waste and sewerage management.
- Communication. Including media, telecommunication, and others for the spreading of news.
- Financial, insurance, and alike .
- Community credit including pawnshops and al-rahnu.
- Information technology and online business
- Fuel and lubricant
- Hotel and accommodation. Only for the purposes of quarantine.
- Critical maintenance and repair
- Forestry. Enforcement only.
- Logistics for essential services.
Only factories from these sectors may operate and only at 60% capacity:
- Aerospace. Components, maintenance repair, and overhaul.
- Food and beverages.
- Packaging and printing for food and medicine.
- Personal care and cleaning products.
- Health and medicine.
- Farming and fishery. Including transportation, logistics, supplies, and processing factories.
Ismail Sabri said he received complaints via social media and other channels that some factory operators were not adhering to the SOPs. He hoped that workers would lodge complaints and the relevant authorities would enforce the rules to the fullest extent of the law.
Critical construction for infrastructure and repairs are permitted at full capacity. Including construction projects with internal housing for workers.
Only those shops that are permitted in the list of essential services are permitted to open, including in malls.
Meanwhile, the following trade services allowed to operate include:
- Supermarkets and hypermarkets are only permitted to open their food, beverage and essential section only.
- Groceries, departmental stores, and pharmacies are permitted to open.
- Food sellers, stalls, and eateries are permitted for take or delivery away only.
- Dobi, including self service laundry facilities.
- Pet care and pet food stores.
- Glasses and optic stores.
- Hardware store.
- Car workshop.
- Online businesses.
- Wholesale and distribution of all permissible services.
- Communication. Including media, telecommunication, postal and courier service.
The public is permitted to go out of the house only to buy essentials, such as food and medicine. Only 2 people per household is allowed at one time and can travel no more than 10 kilometers from home.
Daily markets, fresh markets, permanent farmer’s markets, wholesale markets, are all permissible. Night markets and temporary farmer’s markets are not.
Child care centres are not permitted except for frontliners who if both parents are working.
All permission letters for work related interstate travel that were previously issued by MITI will only be valid till 31 May.
Permission letters valid from 1 June onward will be issued by the related ministries. For example the Agriculture Ministry will issue letters for lorries transporting food.
Sports and recreation is limited to contactless individual sports, which are jogging and light exercise, and is only permissible until 8pm.
Former advertising mad woman - turned mother to an amazing little girl born 3 months early - and now a returned writer. Also a textbook ambivert with no clue about today's pop music but a walking encyclopedia of music from the 80s and 90s.