Subscribe to our new Telegram channel for the latest updates on Covid-19 and other issues.
University Malaya (UM) once again proves its worth, coming in at a respectable 59th spot from 1,000 universities around the globe in the Quacquarelli Symonds World University Rankings (QS-WUR) 2021.
This is an 11 place jump from last year’s 70th spot.
QS used six metrics to rank universities, which include academic reputation, employer reputation, faculty/student ratio, citations per faculty, international faculty ratio, and international student ratio.
From the six metrics, UM received an overall score of 70.1 – which also places it at the 13th place in Asia’s top universities.
UM isn’t the only Malaysian institution to make it onto the list, though. Five other local institutions also managed to place at the top 400.
Four institutions are in the top 150 – namely UM (59) Universiti Putra Malaysia (132), Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (141) and Universiti Sains Malaysia (142).
At the 187th position, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia ranks at the world’s top 200.
Malaysia’s top 400 placing is rounded off with Taylor’s University jump of 135 places from last year to the 379th position this year.
New Straits Times reports that a total of 20 local institutions ranked on the list:
- University Malaya (59)
- Universiti Putra Malaysia (132)
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (141)
- Universiti Sains Malaysia (142)
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (187)
- Taylors University (379)
- UCSI University (391)
- Universiti Teknologi Petronas (439)
- Universiti Utara Malaysia (531-540)
- Management and Science University (551-560)
- International Islamic University Malaysia (601-650)
- University Teknologi Mara (651-700)
- Sunway University (701-750)
- Universiti Tenaga Nasional (701-750)
- Universiti Malaysia Pahang (751-800)
- Multimedia University (801-1000)
- Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (801-1000)
- Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (801-1000)
- Universiti Malaysia Perlis (801-1000)
- Universiti Malaysia Sabah (801-1000)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology tops the QS-WUR 2021 list as the world’s best. Stanford University and Harvard University closely follow at second and third.
In Asia, the top university is the National University of Singapore (11), followed by Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (13) and China’s Tsinghua University (15).
The full list can be viewed on the QS-WUR website (HERE).
She puts the pun in Punjabi. With a background in healthcare, lifestyle writing and memes, this lady's articles walk a fine line between pun-dai and pun-ishing.