Dogs are adorable and dependable creatures, which is the reason why many would want to own them as pets.
But some times, calamities can happen and if you don’t have a license, you can get into more trouble.
So if you want to own one, what do you have to do?
First, you need to get a license with your local municipality and FYI, the process of getting one differs according to each municipality For instance, this one is for DBKL :
Dog Licensing And Pet Breeding (WPKL) Licensing Act 1991 (AMENDMENT) 2011
To get the license you have to:
- Follow and pass the course for the handling of dogs and the dogs.
- Your canine must also pass the “Canine Good Citizen”
You also have to make sure that :
- Your dogs are under constant supervision at all times, be on a leash and as its mouth covered; and does not leave its designated area.
- The premise is gated and safe and that the gate is well maintained at all times.
- Place a “BEWARE OF DOG” sign.
The act also refers to any dog listed under schedule IV, which are :
- German Shepard / Alsatian including Belgian Shepard dan East European Shepard
- Bull Mastiff
- Bull Terrier
- Perro de Presa Canario ( also known as Canary Dog )
Also, be aware that there are some breeds that are prohibited :
- Pit Bull Terrier / Pit Bull (Also known as American Pit Bull, American Pit Bull, American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier and Stafford Bull Terrier )
- American Bulldog
- Neapolitan Mastiff
- Japanese Tosa
- Dogo Argentino
- Fila Braziliero
Under UUK 8B (2), the Mayor must seize and dispose of prohibited breeds found at any premise or anywhere in public.
Those are some of the things you have to be aware of if you want to own a dog.
So, always remember to observe your municipality’s regulations before deciding on getting a new pup, or you risk losing your beloved pet!