It’s a horrible thing to be faced with rape, but a quick-witted 11-year-old girl saved herself with very impressive self-defense.
The suspect, a private taxi driver, brought the victim to Tembok Panuwasa, Kudat, instead of her home and then tried to assault her.
The suspect grabbed the girl’s hands, covered the girl’s mouth, and tried to force her to have sex with him.
The girl then poked his eye with an ice-cream stick and managed to get away.
Kudat police are now hunting for the suspect and the case is being investigated under Section 14 of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017.
Rape is a sad reality that plagues civilized society. While the best ways to prevent rape is for rapists to NOT RAPE AT ALL, there are still some things we can do to keep ourselves safe or escape such dangerous situations.
Here are a few things to keep in mind to keep safe:
- Pay attention to the road on private transport and use a map app if you’re not familiar with the roads.
- Text your friends or family when you get on private transport.
- If you are being harassed, make a fuss! Shout, scream, and get attention from other people.
- If you are being assaulted, fight dirty! Poke eyeballs, elbow throats, kick groins, and bite fingers to escape.
- Use tools: anything can be a weapon (just watch John Wick), so use your keys, or purse, or anything that can distract your assailant and buy you some time.
In an ideal world, anyone should be able to go anywhere and do anything wearing whatever they want.
Unfortunately, it is much better to err on the side of caution in the reality of today and stay safe, even for young children.
Anne is an advocate of sustainable living and the circular economy, and has managed to mum-nag the team into using reusable containers to tapau food. She is also a proud parent of 4 cats and 1 rabbit.