KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 22, 2016:
Three elderly people were left homeless when the squatter house they had lived in for more than 20 years, in Jalan Peel here, was destroyed in a fire today.
Tan Kim Swee, 68, said he and his two cousins Lau Keng Hong, 67, and Fung Seng Chow, 62, were at home when the fire started around 8.20am today.
They only managed to save some important documents before their home went up in smoke.
Tan, who worked as a scrap metal seller, said the three of them were now worried because they had no roof over their heads.
“Luckily I and my cousins survived, but we do not have a place to stay. I hope someone will come to our aid,” he said when met here.
Another victim who wanted to be known only as Kasli, in his 40s, said he and his wife lost everything including RM8,000 kept for a business in the fire.
“We only moved into the house two months ago. I was shocked when my wife informed me that our rented house was on fire as at that time I was at work. We were unable to save anything,” he said.
A Kuala Lumpur Fire and Rescue Operations Centre spokesman said they received a call from the public at 8.40am and arrived at the scene about 10 minutes later.
According to the spokesman, the four squatter houses were 100% destroyed and the fire was completely extinguished by 11.18am.
He said five fire engines and 37 personnel from the Fire and Rescue Stations at Pudu, Jalan Hang Tuah, Jalan Tun Razak and Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre had
rushed to the scene.