KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 19, 2016:
A suspension on recruiting foreign workers has been announced by Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.
This suspension included those from Bangladesh and will be in place while the government reviewed the two-tier levy programme for foreign workers.
In a report by The Star Online, Ahmad Zahid who is in Kota Samarahan, was quoted as saying that all employers are urged to recruit local workers.
Earlier in explaining the move to recruit more Bangladeshi foreign workers, Ahmad Zahid said this was not because the government had wanted it, but at thte request if industries in permitted sectors, business assosciations and chambers of commerce.
Speaking at a media conference on Feb 11, Ahmad Zahid was quoted by Bernama as saying that the figure of 1.5 million was the number of those registered with the Bangladesh government for job purposes.
This matter was further clarified by Human Resources Minister Datuk Seri Richard Riot who spoke to reporters this morning, stating that 1.5 million Bangladeshis had registered with the Ministry of Expatriates’ Welfare and Overseas Employment in Bangladesh for jobs overseas including Malaysia.
He said this in clearing the air on the misconception over the much talked about recruitment of 1.5 million foreign workers from Bangladesh.
In a report by Bernama today, Riot said the memorandum of understanding (MoU) inked in Dhaka yesterday did not specify the number of Bangladeshi workers to be employed in Malaysia.