MALACCA Feb 7, 2016:
It was a bleak Chinese New Year (CNY) for 1,024 residents of Batu Berendam, Melaka Tengah, after floods destroyed all preparations, including food and cookies prepared for the celebration tomorrow.
They cannot cook dishes for the big family feast (reunion dinner) while some have to spend their Chinese New Year in flood relief centres, especially SMK Munshi Abdullah.
Chan Lim Da, 45, said she and her husband Tay Swee Chong, 54, had just finished cleaning her house in Taman Merdeka Jaya, Batu Berendam, when it started to flood last night.
The nasi lemak seller said she returned home after having dinner with her in-laws at 11.30pm and was shocked to find her home flooded up to the knee level.
“Before leaving the house, all the items had been prepared leaving only the cooking part. I am sad because I cannot celebrate Chinese New Year as usual,” she told Bernama when met at her house in Taman Merdeka Jaya today.
Chong Yee Moi, 60, said she returned home from visiting her son in Singapore at bout 9pm last night to find her house in Taman Merdeka Jaya flooded.
“I do not know the extent of the damage as I came straight to this relief centre. All the preparations have been completed but I cannot cook for the big feast.
“I feel sad as I will celebrate the Chinese New Year here. What to do, I will eat whatever is given to me,” she added.
Meanwhile, Ng Guan Thuan, 60, said he and five other family members have to celebrate the Chinese New Year at SMK Munshi Abdullah which has been turned into a temporary flood relief centre.
“I feel sick. I cannot perform prayers and enjoy the big family feast. This is the second time floods hit the Chinese New Year since 2006,” he added.
Bernama reported the number of flood victims at 13 relief centres in Melaka rose to 3,092 from 670 families, as at noon today.