LONDON, Feb 7, 2016:

A young man who claims an e-cigarette exploded in his mouth is recovering from agonising injuries.

Factory worker Ryan Bailey, 22, suffered burns to his lips and a hand, plus damage to his teeth, after his Knight Mod e-cig allegedly blew up while he was smoking it, according to the Mirror.

His carpet was set on fire, he was rushed to hospital and he has had four emergency operations on his left hand, including a skin graft.

He said today: “I am just lucky to still be here. The doctors said that if the explosion had not hit my teeth, it would have gone down my throat and killed me.”

Bailey’s ordeal follows reports of at least 100 exploding e-cigarettes.

Some 2.6 million Britons now use them and they are set to be offered on prescription by doctors.

Bailey, of Telford, Shopshire, is facing a fifth operation to repair the damage fully. He will also have ­extensive dental work.

He said: “The whole thing has been terrible and it isn’t over yet.”

The trauma happened at home on Wednesday.

“It suddenly blew up in my mouth,” said Ryan. “There was no warning.

“My sister was screaming and crying and rang for an ­ambulance.

“I couldn’t feel any pain at first because of the adrenaline so I didn’t know how bad it was. I put out the fire on the carpet then I looked down at my hand and then in the mirror. I couldn’t believe it.

“My face was black where it had blown up and my hand had swollen to twice its size. It was like having had a stick of dynamite explode in my hand.”

Last month there were reports of how dad-of-two Kevin Woodward suffered horrific burns to his face and arms when an Eleaf iStick e-cigarette, which he had left on charge overnight, erupted at 4.30am while he was sleeping.

Woodward, 30, said it felt as if someone had held a “blow torch” to his face. Last year a series of fires caused by ­exploding e-cigarette chargers prompted a nationwide safety alert in Britain.


Related Posts

Related Posts

Related Posts

Next Post