KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 30, 2016:
1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) reiterated today that it has not been contacted by any foreign legal authorities on any matters pertaining to the national sovereign fund.
This comes following news reports on a statement issued by the office of the Attorney-General on Switzerland yesterday, with regards to an on-going investigation.
“1MDB remains committed to fully cooperating with any lawful authority and investigation, subject to advice from the relevant domestic lawful authorities, and in accordance with international protocols governing such matters,” the investment company noted in a press statement issued today.
It was reported today that the Swiss AG, in a media release, stated their suspicion on misappropriation of US$4 billion (RM16.5 billion) from 1MDB, transferred to Swiss bank accounts.
The office of the AG said it is requesting Malaysia for mutual assistance as part of the criminal proceedings opened on Aug 14 last year against two former officials of 1MDB as well as persons unknown.
The investigation was said to be on suspicion of bribery of foreign public officials, misconduct in public office, money laundering and criminal mismanagement.
“The sum suspected to have been misappropriated amounts to around US$4 billion,” the release said, adding that the intended purpose was the subject of further investigation.
It added that a small portion of the money was ascertained as having been transferred to accounts held in Switzerland by various former Malaysian public officials and former and current public officials from the United Arab Emirates.