KUALA LUMPUR, January 29, 2016:
Umno president and Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak denied that the candidates proposed to replace Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir had been rejected by the Kedah Regency Council.
Najib said things had been going smoothly during his audience with the council this morning.
“I have also informed the Umno Supreme Council about the meeting and that several names have been proposed to the Kedah Regency Council.
“It’s not true (that the candidates had been rejected). All went well,” he told reporters after chairing the Umno Supreme Council meeting here.
When asked if he had been privy to the crisis in Kedah Umno, Najib said the matter was decided among the Kedah Umno division chiefs.
“We heard there was an issue but the matter is decided by the 14 division chiefs.
“As president, I have to take note and give it due consideration,” he said.
It is believed that Najib has put forward three names of candidates for the Kedah Menteri Besar’s post, reports Berita Harian.
The Malay daily reported that the three candidates were Guar Chempedak assemblyman Datuk Dr Ku Abd Rahman Ku Ismail, Ayer Hangat assemblyman Datuk Mohd Rawi Abdul Hamid and Bayu assemblyman Datuk Azmi Che Husin.
The names were handed over at the meeting between Najib and Kedah Regency Council chairman Tunku Sallehuddin Sultan Badlishah.
Meanwhile, Umno secretary-general Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor, who was present at the Press conference, explained about the directive for Mukhriz to leave the meeting.
“There is no issue regarding his presence because he is a member of the Supreme Council.
“But if the Supreme Council has decided that there is no need for him to come, then it is not necessary for him to be there.
“I have spoken to him about it over the phone this morning,” said Tengku Adnan.