KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 20, 2016:
In the wake of warnings by police, PKR Youth has also warned the rakyat against spreading false news on terrorist threats while chiding one minister for doing so.
PKR Youth chief Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad claimed “false” statements on terrorist hotspots that were disputed by the police were shared by Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor.
He said the statement by Tengku Adnan made at a press conference recently was “irresponsible” and urged police to take action against the minister for it.
“This is an irresponsible statement and till now many are still spreading the remarks, causing restlessness among the public over national security.
“If it is true that police have taken seriously the spreading of false information and news, they should take action against Tengku Adnan because a minister’s words can have a huge impact.
“It is time a minister is responsible for his words,” Nik Nazmi said in a statement today.
Following the bombings that took place in Jakarta last week, news spread of areas such as Bukit Bintang, KLCC and Bangsar being targeted by terrorists.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar warned the public against spreading information from unverified sources.
Tengku Adnan had claimed that the ”hotspot” areas in Kuala Lumpur where security patrols had been intensified included Bukit Bintang, Bangsar, Sri Hartamas, popular shopping centres The Curve, Publika as well as Kuala Lumpur Tower, as reported by Bernama over the weekend.