fbpx

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 19, 2016:

Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s lawyer today made a proposal to the High Court that his defamation suit against Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin should go for mediation.

Counsel J. Leela said she suggested to Judicial Commissioner S. Nantha Balan for both parties to mediate on the suit since the case had been on going for almost eight years.

“I had suggested to the court for mediation and the court set this Friday to know the outcome of the mediation’s discussion,” she told reporters after meeting Nantha in chambers today.

Leela said the court had also fixed three days, March 7, 8 and 10 this year, for the hearing of the suit.

On March 7, 2008, Anwar filed the suit against Khairy seeking damages amounting to RM100 million, alleging that the latter, who was at the time Umno Youth vice-chief, had slandered him in a speech at Lembah Pantai on Feb 20, 2008.

Anwar alleged that a video clip of the defendant’s address headlined, “Anwar and kin no threat”, was also circulated on websites, including Malaysiakini.com.

Khairy, in his statement of defence, filed on Oct 8, 2010, relied on justification and qualified privilege.

On April 6, last year, the Federal Court allowed Khairy’s appeal to amend his statement of defence to include specific findings of the Federal Court’s judgment on Sept 2, 2004 in Anwar’s first sodomy case.

The High Court had on Oct 9, 2013, rejected Khairy’s application to amend his defence statement in the defamation suit.

Related Posts

Related Posts

Related Posts

Next Post