KUALA TERENGGANU, Jan 1, 2016:
The Terengganu government will find the best mechanism to overcome losses incurred by certain parties, especially vape traders, following the state Fatwa Council’s ruling to ban electronic cigarettes and vaping recently.
Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Razif Abdul Rahman said the state government understood the difficulties faced by the traders following the ban.
He said the state government would also hold discussions with the Terengganu Islamic Affairs and Malay Customs Council (Maidam) before making the best decision in addressing the issue on Sunday.
“The state government is following the ruling by the Fatwa Council which had been consented to by (the Sultan of Terengganu) Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin, who is the chairman of the council,” he said.
Ahmad Razif spoke to reporters after attending the UPSR and PT3 Outstanding Student Awards for Seberang Takir state constituency at Kampung Telaga Daing, near here, today.
In another development, Ahmad Razif said the state government planned to convert the compassionate fund given to the flood victims in the state to an insurance policy to prepare for flood damage losses.
He said the proposal was still under discussion with the federal government for coordination purposes and would be finalised soon.
“Currently the state and federal governments each contribute RM500 to flood victims in the state, so each household will get RM1,000.
“In the future, the aid will be turned to insurance policy and the rest will be used to purchase assets and equipment for the security agencies to prepare for the floods,” he said.