KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 7, 2015:
Employers are set to follow stricter procedures for salary payment to foreign workers starting January next year.
Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Paul Low said usage of the services of middlemen would be abolished and the government would ensure that employers were more responsible to their employees compared to now.
Low said employers would no longer be allowed to hold on to the passports of workers.
He added they must also ensure salaries were paid according to the minimum wage and prepare facilities according to set standards.
“The move involving 14 government agencies was made in a bid to resolve the problem of foreign workers in the country.
“We have already received consensus and it is hoped that by January next year, it will be implemented,” he said in his speech at the Human Rights Day celebration at Renaissance Hotel here today.
Low added these measures were also aimed at ensuring that employers were more responsible for their employees and not leave the matter to the government.
He explained previously, whenever there were incidents of foreign workers running away, employers would wash their hands off the problem and leave it to police and other agencies.
“We will impose higher fines to make employers more responsible and not say it is the government’s responsibility.”