UTICA, Nov 25, 2015:

The pastor of an insular New York church where a young man was beaten to death and his younger brother seriously injured was among seven people charged on Tuesday with murder.

Pastor Tiffanie Irwin’s mother, Traci Irwin, also was charged in a 13-count indictment, as were Irwin’s two brothers, Joseph and Daniel Irwin. Also named were the victims’ father, Bruce Leonard; their half-sister Sarah Ferguson; and two other church members — Linda Morey and her son, David Morey.

Authorities have said “spiritual counseling” spiraled into an all-night gang attack on Lucas and Christopher Leonard inside the Word of Life Christian Church, a red-brick former elementary school in New Hartford that serves as both a church and a home for the Irwins.

The indictment charges all but Daniel Irwin with second-degree murder in the Oct 12 death of 19-year-old Lucas Leonard. All eight face charges of manslaughter, kidnapping, assault and gang assault for the attacks on Lucas Leonard and his 17-year-old brother, who survived.

The eight defendants were in court on Tuesday, but plea information was not initially available.

Police initially charged six people, including both of the victims’ parents, but the pastor and her mother were not among them.

District Attorney Scott McNamara said the victims’ mother, Deborah Leonard, would be charged separately. Her lawyer, Devin Garramone, said she would be arraigned next week on charges of first-degree assault in the death of Lucas Leonard and second-degree assault for the attack on Christopher Leonard.

That would be a reduction from the initial manslaughter charge she pleaded not guilty to in October. There will be no bail, the lawyer said.

McNamara said he could not comment further on the case because of a gag order issued by the judge.

At a hearing last month, Christopher Leonard testified that Tiffanie Irwin asked the Leonard family and some others to stay behind for a meeting after an eight-hour Sunday service.

Over what he estimated was six or more hours, the teen said he was pummelled with fists and whipped with a 1.2m, folded electrical cord on the back and elsewhere, suffering injuries to his torso and genitals.

Authorities said the meeting was called because Lucas Leonard had indicated he wanted to leave the secretive church. After the attack, the beating victims’ relatives wouldn’t tell officers where to find the injured Christopher Leonard, who ultimately was located on the church’s second floor, investigators said.

The church has existed for as many as 30 years in a rural part of New Hartford, a town of 22,000 people about 80km from Syracuse. The church once had 40 or more members but now counts closer to 20, New Hartford police chief Michael Inserra said after the attack.

Related Posts

Related Posts

Related Posts

Next Post