KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 24, 2015:
The murder of deputy public prosecutor Anthony Kevin Morais, whose remains have laid at the mortuary for almost 70 days, took a shocking twist when it was allegedly released before the courts could rule whether a second post-mortem was needed.
And now where the remains are kept, or if they have been cremated, is cloaked in mystery.
Attempts to contact Kevin’s younger brother, Datuk Richard Morais, proved futile as calls went unanswered.
“I am going to sue all parties concerned,” Kevin’s exasperated other brother, Charles Suresh, told The Rakyat Post this morning.
“Can you please find out where Kevin’s remains are kept now as my lawyer Amerik Singh and I are kept in the dark,” Charles, who hails from United States, pleaded.
“My lawyer is presently in court following this recent development, after which we will see what needs to be done.”
Sentul police chief Assistant Commissioner Munusamy Rengasamy confirmed the remains had been released to family members yesterday, but claimed ignorance of any court application for a second post-mortem.
“During a recent meeting with both police and officials from the Attorney-General Chambers, all present were informed that a second post-mortem was needed to be performed,” Charles said.
“While there was no objections forthcoming, we were told that we would have to make a formal application with the courts.”
The meeting that Charles was referring to was held at the Sentul police headquarters on Nov 12, 2015.
Besides Charles and his lawyer, others present included fellow siblings David, Richard, their respective lawyers, officials from the Attorney-General’s Chambers and police.
“An official notification was forwarded to police, hospital authorities and lawyers concerned on the pending of the court’s decision on the second post-mortem,” Charles said.
Last month, The Rakyat Post had reported that Kevin’s death could take an unexpected turn as the cause of death remained inconclusive.(http://www.therakyatpost.com/news/2015/10/22/kevin-morais-cause-of-death-inconclusive/)
Coincidentally, this development comes about several days before those charged with Kevin’s death are to reappear in court for their case to be re-mentioned.
Those charged for the DPP’s abduction cum murder are Armed Force pathologist Dr R Kunaseegaran, S Ravi Chandran, G. Gunasekaran, A. K. Thinesh Kumar, S. Nimalan, R Dhineswaran and M. Viswana.
The re-mention of the case would be heard at the Petaling Jaya and Jalan Duta courts.
Kevin was last seen alive leaving his Menara Duta apartment complex on Sept 4 for work.
Police said he was abducted a short distance away following a staged fender bender crash.
His remains were found cemented in a steel drum that had been dumped into a pond behind a vernacular school in USJ 1, Subang Jaya, on Sept 16.