SEMPORNA, Oct 18, 2015:
Nine kidnapping-for-ransom attempts were foiled with the implementation of the curfew in the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (ESSZone) since July last year.
Chief of Staff at the Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) operations centre Datuk Md Rahim Mohamad said the kidnappers targeted tourists diving in certain areas.
He attributed the success in foiling the kidnap to cooperation from all quarters, including resort operators in Esszone.
“Therefore, we hope such cooperation can be continued.
“We also call on the resort operators to comply with all the guidelines and advice given by Esscom, especially in their handling of tourists who go diving.”
He said this during a security briefing for resort operators at the Pulau Mabul police station near here today.
Md Rahim said Esscom had identified several measures to be observed by resort operators to enhance security of tourists in the Esszone area.
“Resort operators also have to ensure their boats are equipped with a systematic communication system as they are required to report to the security team before diving.”