fbpx

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 15, 2015:

The decision to increase toll rates for the Western Kuala Lumpur Traffic Dispersal Scheme (SPRINT) highway had not been referred to the board of directors for discussion, claimed a board member.

According to SPRINT board member, Sivarasa Rasiah, who is also Subang MP, the question on whether he supports the toll increase should not arise at all.

He said the SPRINT management had implemented a toll increase in accordance to a letter by the Malaysian Highway Authority (LLM) received last week, which informed that the federal government will not pay further compensation to the company.

“Thus, SPRINT can increase the toll rates in accordance with the rates set out in the letter, and the company is responsible for announcing the increase in toll rates.

“Following the letter, the toll increase was announced by the company but without prior consultation with the board of directors through circulars or meetings,” he said in a statement here today.

Sivarasa made the statement in the wake of criticism by some parties alleging that he supported the management of SPRINT to increase the toll rates with effect from today.

He is a member of the board of directors as a representative of Kumpulan Perangsang Selangor (KPS), which owns 20% of shares in SPRINT while Gamuda Group is the largest shareholder by owning the remaining 80% stake.

Sivarasa added that he would not agree with the toll increase in view of the economic downturn, and it was not the right time to increase the burden of the people of Selangor and Malaysia who are already facing rising prices as well as Goods and Services Tax (GST).

He considered his stance on the matter as in line with that of the state government led by the Menteri Besar, Mohamed Azmin Ali.

“Therefore, I will write to the chairman of SPRINT, Yussuf Daud, to call a special meeting of the board of directors to discuss and review this matter.

“I’ve also reported this matter to the Menteri Besar and will carry out any further instructions from him,” he said.

Today, 17 highways begin their new rates as hikes were announced several days ago.

Related Posts

Related Posts

Related Posts

Next Post