fbpx

LONDON, Sept 19, 2015:

A bar has been fined £100,000 (RM657,000) after a teenager had her stomach removed after drinking a smoking liquid nitrogen cocktail handed to her for free.

Gaby Scanlon, now 20, was with friends at the Oscar’s Wine Bar and Bistro in Lancaster when she was given the Nitro-Jägermeister shot for her 18th birthday.

The Preston Crown Court heard that within seconds of drinking it, she experienced “agonising pain” as smoke billowed from her mouth and nose, according to The Independent.

She said: “I turned to the man and asked if it was okay to drink, he said ‘yes’. Smoke was coming from my nose and mouth. Straight away I knew something was not right.”

Scanlon from Heysham, Lancashire, had surgery to remove her stomach, and her small bowel was connected with her oesophagus to save her life.

Oscar’s admitted it failed to ensure the shot cocktail was safe for consumption. Judge Pamela Badley said that “failings fell very far short of standards”.

The bar had sold a range of cocktails using liquid nitrogen to create a smoking effect after director Andrew Dunn saw similar drinks in the Berkeley Hotel in London.

But health and safety officer Peter Lord, who visited the bar in May 2012 before the incident said he had concerns and sent a letter with guidance on liquid nitrogen use, which was met with no response.

The court heard that Scanlon and her friends had been poured four of the drinks before she was told “the birthday girl could have a free shot”.

Prosecutor Barry Berlin said: “Immediately she was taken violently ill, retching and vomiting and smoking from her nose and mouth.”

Upon consuming the liquid nitrogen which is used for freezing warts, internal tissue was killed and the lining of her stomach was perforated.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bar-fined-100000-after-teenager-who-drank-liquid-nitrogen-cocktail-had-stomach-removed-10506319.html

Related Posts

Related Posts

Related Posts

Next Post