KUALA LUMPUR, Sept. 17, 2015:

Police, by solving the abduction-cum-murder of Deputy Public Prosecutor Kevin Morais, have once again proved their mettle in tackling high-profile cases.

This is not the first such high profile case which police have been able to solve in recent years, adding another feather in their beret.

Last November, a Myanmar businessman was abducted from a restaurant in Sentul and reportedly held for US$2 million (RM8.5 million) ransom.

The businessman’s wife was told to deposit the ransom into a bank account in Bangkok by a kidnapper who claimed he was calling from Myanmar. But she failed to raise the amount, and no further calls were forthcoming.

Police carried out several arrests in the Klang Valley, and were led to the discovery of the businessman’s remains buried in Bidor, Perak in December.

In February last year, a Bahrain national studying at a private college was kidnapped.

The 20-year-old engineering student was held captive for 18 days until his family paid a ransom in Manama, Bahrain.

Two Bahrain nationals were among several nabbed here for the kidnapping and the police success made news in Manama.

In November 2013, an expatriate’s toddler was abducted outside their Bangsar home. Police detained a couple in Taman Desa and little Freddie was rescued.

In April 2012 international school student Nayati Shamelin Moodliar was abducted while on his way to school in Mont Kiara.

A ransom was paid and police detained four in connection with the kidnapping, and they have since been charged.

In August 2010, cosmetics businesswoman Datuk Sosilawati Lawiya and three others – her driver Kamaruddin Shamsuddin, bank officer Noorhisham Mohamad and lawyer Ahmad Kamil Abdul Karim – were reported missing following a land deal meeting in Banting.

In the ensuing police investigations, their cars were found abandoned in separate locations in Subang Jaya.

Former lawyer N. Pathmanabhan, labourers T. Thilaiyalagan, R. Matan and R. Kathavarayan were produced in court in September the same year to face murder charges.

To date, the missing four have yet to be found as investigators believe they were murdered and their bodies burnt beyond recognition, and remains thrown into a river.

The September 4 abduction-cum-murder of the senior Deputy Public Prosecutor had become the talk of the town, with various theories bandied about on social media and chat groups.

While police were able to bring closure for the Morais family by solving the case, it has however reignited several other abduction cases of individuals who had gone missing and remain listed as such in police files.

These “missing person” reports have become cold case files, and will remain as such until new information is obtained.

While speculations remain rife as to the fate of these individuals, investigators are unable to reclassify the investigation papers pending the obtaining of concrete information or proof of life.

The most recent, coincidentally was also reported at Sentul police district last June, and this came about after a businessman was reported missing when his car was found abandoned in Kepong Baru.

The businessman, popularly known as Ah Loong, was reportedly involved in financial consultancy and had a string of clients who sought his services.

Checks by The Rakyat Post revealed the missing businessman’s family had lodged a missing person report, and the businessman’s cellular phone was in the car.

Several days later, another businessman was reported missing after his car was found abandoned near Persiaran Jemerlang Kuning, in Sierramas.

This individual was reportedly a former underworld figure who had turned over a new leaf and gone into business.

He was last seen when he turned up at his brother’s home in Taman Sri Sinar, Kepong several days prior to his car being found abandoned. The businessman’s cellular phone was found in the locked car.

Police declined comment as to whether the businessman was abducted, but it has been ascertained no ransom demand had been forthcoming.

It was understood this was the third such incident of businessmen reported missing, and no news of their whereabouts to date.

Police also declined to comment if these cases were linked.

In March 2013, businessman K. Gobalaguru, who owns several nightclubs in the Klang Valley, was reportedly bundled into his BMW by unidentified abductors outside a hotel in Jalan Maharajalela.

A missing person report had been lodged, but to date there has been no news of any ransom demand.

At the height of the Morais’ case, the businessman’s brother Dasnamurthy came forward and related to the media the anxiety his family had gone through following Gobalaguru’s abduction.

Several years earlier, another 40-year-old businessman was attacked and abducted by several armed men in Kajang.

The August 2009 abduction, witnessed by his wife and children captured media attention when it was alleged he was reportedly linked to the underworld.

In October 2010, police were led to the discovery of skeletal remains off Jalan Broga, Semenyih following the arrests of several suspects in Kedah.

The skeletal remains were believed to be that of the businessman abducted in Kajang.

The other high profile cases which remain unsolved are that of missing Cathay Pacific stewardess T. Vethavathi and a businessman’s daughter, Midori Lim.

In September 1990, Vethavathi had arrived at the then Subang International Airport from Hong Kong to attend a family member’s wedding in the city.

At the time, she was carrying with her an assortment of jewellery as gifts for her niece. She was last seen standing by the road shoulder outside the airport’s main entrance.

In the Midori Lim case, the young woman was returning home to Cheras in her Toyota Corolla, the last time she was seen.

Police investigations revealed the same individual was involved in both the Vethavathi and Midori disappearances, and following the suspect’s death, both their whereabouts to date remain not known.

Related Posts

Related Posts

Related Posts

Next Post