SHAH ALAM, Sept 9, 2015:
The riots in Shah Alam Stadium last night could have been started by a group which had been planning it all along.
Shah Alam district police chief Assistant Commissioner Shafien Mamat said despite tight security at the stadium entrance, flammables such as rocket flares were smuggled in.
“We are still conducting investigation from all aspects, including how the fireworks got through.
“We believe that the fireworks were brought in by drink sellers who entered through the main door ahead of the game.
“We will discuss this matter with the stadium management and the Football Association of Selangor (FAS) as part of our investigations,” he said during a press conference at the Selangor police headquarters, here.
He said following the incident, 11 men aged between 19 and 36 had been remanded until Friday for investigations.
He said police also seized rocket fireworks, flares and smoke bombs from the suspects.
According to him, one of the individuals arrested had a criminal record for theft.
“All the suspects were arrested about half an hour after the match and some of them tried to escape.
“Those arrested were seated where Ultras Malaya supporters gathered and we are still looking for 200 to 300 people believed to be involved.”
Shafien said anyone with information regarding the incident and able to identify the individuals could give information at the nearest police station.
He added police had not received any report of Saudi Arabia supporters being beaten.
“We will cooperate with the Embassy of Saudi Arabia over such reports as it is possible the victims only reported to the embassy.”
The match between Malaysia and Saudi Arabia was stopped early after fans threw flares onto the pitch when the match was still on at the 88th minute.
Fans also tried to launch fireworks into the air towards the dying minutes of the game.
The case is being investigated under Section 147 of the Penal Code for rioting and Section 5 of the Explosives Act 1957.