IPOH, Sept 3, 2015:
Fourteen bodies believed to be Indonesian nationals and victims of the boat capsize tragedy in Sabak Bernama waters, were sent to the Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital (HRPB) for post mortem.
Hilir Perak district police chief Assistant Commissioner Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain said all the victims were brought from the Hutan Melintang Police Station about 6.30pm by police vehicles.
“Post-mortem will be conducted on the bodies of the 13 women and one man to determine the exact cause of death and the identification process will be done tomorrow to enable victims’ relatives to claim the bodies.
“There are 19 survivors so far, who are believed to be illegal immigrants and they are now being held at the Hutan Melintang Police Station lockup to assist in investigations,” he told reporters at the HRPB’s Forensic Unit here, tonight.
However, he said one female victim was now receiving treatment at the Teluk Intan Hospital.
In the meantime, Mohd Shuhaily said the Indonesian Embassy representatives had visited the operations centre at the Sungai Sumun jetty, Hutan Melintang this evening.
He said at the moment, the police would not give full access to the representatives as thorough investigations on the incident were still underway.
Fourteen people, believed to be Indonesian nationals, drowned, while 15 were rescued after a boat believed to be carrying 70 people capsized about nine nautical miles south west of Tanjong Sauh in the waters off Selangor this morning.
The 40-foot boat was heading towards Tanjung Balai in Indonesia from Sungai Kuala Bernam.