KOTA KINABALU, July 1, 2015:
Sabah’s iconic Mount Kinabalu may be a few centimetres shorter following the June 5 earthquake.
Standing tall at 4,095 metres, it was, however, not improbable for the.mountain to lose some height..
A survey was currently being done to see whether the mountain gained or lost a bit of height, said local geologist Professor Dr Felix Tongkul, although logically, he said the mountain should have gone down a bit.
“The mountain is still in the phase of experiencing aftershocks and the fault lines are easing their way down to Tuaran and to the South China Sea,” Tongkul was quoted by The Borneo Post, adding to date, 100 aftershocks had been recorded.
Tongkul, who is also the Universiti Malaysia Sabah lecturer, said Mount Kinabalu was still unstable and that a proposal had been made to the government to establish a sensor on the mountain.
“We hope it will be installed soon. UMS is working with Sabah Parks on the matter,” he said, adding the sensor would enable geologists to monitor the condition on the mountain and to detect any seismic movements.
The earthquake, which was felt in most parts of Sabah, claimed 18 lives, comprising 14 climbers and four mountain guides.