fbpx

KUALA LUMPUR, March 27, 2015:

Parti Sosialis Malaysia (PSM) secretary-general S. Arutchelvan expressed dissatisfaction towards the answers given by the Customs Department, for the 106 questions presented to the department on March 23 by a mixed group of activists and politicians.

The questions, pertaining to the Goods and Services Tax (GST), were handed to the department during an anti-GST protest at the Customs Department headquarters in Kelana Jaya on Monday.

“We are not satisfied with the answers and are currently in the process of responding to the answers.

“The answers are general and shallow. It did not address the issue at all,” said Arutchelvan, who is commonly known as Arul, when contacted by The Rakyat Post.

Arutchelvan added that the answers actually “raised more questions”.

“Our questions were not complicated. It was very straight-forward but they failed to provide satisfactory answers.”

Meanwhile, Solidariti Anak Muda Malaysia (SAMM) founder Badrul Hisham Shaharin, better known as Chegubard, told The Rakyat Post that he had gone through the answers to the 106 questions, posted on the official website of the Customs Department today.

However, Chegubard said that the Customs Department had only given them general answers and it did not address their questions specifically.

“Our questions were easy but the Customs Department took several days to reply. We asked straight-forwards questions, so reply it in the same way. They don’t have to hide anything,” said Chegubard.

When asked on what he meant by “Customs Department hiding something”, Chegubard said in the 106 answers, the Customs Department repeatedly, on a few subjects, said “this is outside our jurisdiction”.

“Why did they take a long time to answer us? It means they themselves are not ready yet for GST.

“We are not trying to be hostile towards the Customs because we understand they are the victims of GST, too. But everyone need to understand that GST has its bad outcomes.

“For example, for those who buy the Touch n Go card will be facing a 6% GST charge, then another 6% when you go through the tolls. In total here, users are already paying for 12% GST every day.”

“I believe the GST tax should be postponed and the 6% charge should be reviewed again,” added Chegubard.

Related Posts

Related Posts


Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/share/nginx/html/wp-content/themes/jnews/class/Module/ModuleViewAbstract.php on line 355

Related Posts

Next Post