fbpx

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 2, 2015:

While floods around Peninsular Malaysia have started to recede, Kota Belud in Sabah is seeing the opposite as the district becomes the latest to be hit by the natural disaster.

Its Member of Parliament, Datuk Abdul Rahman Dahlan, on his Facebook account today posted that two evacuation centres had been opened at 5pm today as 159 families were forced to leave their homes as water level rose.

According to Rahman, 14 villages there were hit by what was believed to be flash floods due to heavy rain that had been pouring since last night.

He added that more than 500 people were reported to have sought shelter at the centres in Dewan Tun Said and Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan Chung Hwa. Out of this figure, 11 were infants.

“Once again, I advise to those living in areas that are susceptible to floods, especially those living near riverbanks, to move now! Don’t wait until nightfall as rescue and evacuation effort would be very difficult when it’s dark.”

The Urban Wellbeing, Housing and Local Government Minister added that he would be back in the district from Putrajaya tonight to work with government agencies in handling the crisis.

“Usukan assemblyman Dr Salleh Tun Said and Tempasuk assemblyman Datuk Musbah Jamli along with the district officer and the disaster committee have already gone down to the site to ensure that the situation is managed properly.”

Related Posts

Related Posts

Related Posts

Next Post