PENGKALAN CHEPA, Dec 28, 2014:
The Malaysian Armed Forces (MAF) will be reviewing its disaster management Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) based on the new benchmark set by the ongoing floods this year.
Armed Forces chief General Tan Sri Zulkifeli Mohd Zin said the review would be conducted after the last was made two years ago.
According to Zulkifeli, the SOP review would be made based on the findings and information collected after the flood waters had receded.
“This time, the floods that occurred in Kelantan happened on a bigger scale and it did not just affect specific areas.
“This sets a new benchmark in the SOP for flood management contingencies and we have been directed by the National Security Council (NSC) to review the matter,” he told reporters at the army camp here today.
Also present were Army chief General Tan Sri Raja Mohamed Affandi Raja Mohamed Noor and Kelantan State Secretary Datuk Mohd Faudzi Che Mamat.
He was commenting on a statement by Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin yesterday that the SOP on the country’s national disaster management system would be reviewed and improved to ensure readiness for any disaster based on the current situation.
Elaborating further, Zulkifeli said that food supplies sent here from the collection depot at the air force base in Subang was sufficient.
“Continuous efforts are being made by MAF personnel deployed to assist the flood victims.
“Meanwhile, the flood waters in Kuala Krai are also receding in areas that were previously inaccessible at the initial stage of the floods.”
He also called on the flood victims to be patient as it might take time for aid to be delivered due to the severity of the floods.