fbpx

KOTA KINABALU, July 20:

The 12-hour curfew imposed on six districts in the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (Esszone) yesterday went smoothly without any untoward incident.

Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) commander Datuk Abd Rashid Harun said no arrests were made on the first day of the curfew, which started at 6pm and lasted until 6am this morning.

“So far, the situation is under control. All parties, especially the fishermen, have given their full cooperation and we hope they will continue to do so until the curfew is lifted,” he said in a statement here today.

Rashid reminded the people, particularly coastal residents and fishermen in the affected districts, to abide by the curfew order to avoid any untoward incident.

Yesterday, Sabah police commissioner Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman was quoted as saying that curfew would be enforced off the east coast of Sabah from July 19 until Aug 2.

The starting margin of the curfew would be three nautical miles from the coast off Tanjung Pundaras in Sandakan, Kinabatangan, Lahad Datu, Semporna and Jeti Tawau in Tawau.

According to Jalaluddin, trespassers could be slapped with a RM500 fine or jailed up to six months.

A curfew is among a host of measures to be imposed on Sabah to enhance security in the state’s coastal areas with the police and armed forces identifying several other measures to be implemented immediately to enhance security in the state.

This followed a recent intrusion which saw a policeman shot dead and another abducted.

In the incident on Pulau Mabul on Saturday, a group of eight intruders armed with heavy weapons killed Corporal Ab Rajah Jamuan, 32, and abducted Constable Zakia Ali, 26.

Related Posts

Related Posts

Related Posts

Next Post