fbpx

PUTRAJAYA, July 7:

Datuk Seri Rohani Abdul Karim came to the defence of Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor, who has been accused of being heartless by banning non-governmental organisations (NGOs) from feeding the homeless in the city centre.

The Women, Family and Community Development Minister said the information being spread on the social media was incomplete and this had led to a misunderstanding.

She said the media reported that Tengku Adnan had directed all soup kitchens within a 2km radius of Lot 10 in Bukit Bintang to cease operations. However, it failed to add that the soup kitchens could operate at other locations.

“Tengku Adnan had also said that other locations had been identified for soup kitchens to operate. Get the facts right,” she said at a press conference here today.

According to Rohani, the government was not being cruel to the homeless as alleged, but rather it was looking at ways to solve the problem in a more organised manner.

She added that her own ministry was cooperating with 12 NGOs to feed the homeless.

Rohani said the suggestion to have soup kitchens at other locations identified by the government was not to stop the NGOs from contributing to the homeless.

“I am thankful to those who are concerned about the homeless and wish to help them.

“However, I want to remind them that when they offer help by the roadside, others are also talking advantage of it.”

Rohani said there were occasions when tourists also queued up to get food meant for the homeless as they thought Malaysia was very generous and fed everyone.

Earlier, Tengku Adnan had said that a one-stop centre to help the homeless would be set up in Lorong Haji Taib, adding that he had never stopped NGOs from feeding and helping the homeless.

Related Posts

Related Posts


Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/share/nginx/html/wp-content/themes/jnews/class/Module/ModuleViewAbstract.php on line 355

Related Posts

Next Post