The Sabah Health Department has confirmed that eight cases of Influenza A H1N1 were detected in the state in February.
Its director, Dr Christina Rundi, said seven of the cases were detected at Wad Melur 2 of the Sabah Women and Children’s Hospital here, while the other in Sandakan.
“The Sabah Health Department received a report on the cases on Feb 3. Screening was done on 30 people suspected to have been exposed to the virus.
From the screening, 10 Nasopharyngeal Aspirate Respiratory Syncytial Virus (NPA RSV) samples were taken for testing.
“The results confirmed seven cases were positive for A H1N1. The patients, five children and two adults, had cough, fever and showed flu symptoms. All of them are receiving treatment and are in stable condition.”
Dr Christina said among the immediate measures taken by the department were giving anti-virus shots to the infected patients, expanding the screening process to all who had been in contact with them, and disinfecting the ward.