Close Share

PUBLISHED: Feb 12, 2017 8:21am

FRU fire tear gas to disperse unruly Penang fans after defeat to Sarawak


Source: Bernama Source:

Adjust Font Size:

BATU KAWAN, 12 Feb 2017:

Following the defeat of the Penang team in their Super League match against Sarawak last night, a commotion broke out at the State Stadium here.

The commotion was instigated by fanatic supporters of the ‘Black Panthers’  outside the stadium after the match had ended.

Earlier, the hardcore fans were jeering in dissatisfaction inside the stadium following the end of the match at 11pm, shouting “pengadil bangsat” (useless referee).

The group then gathered outside the stadium after People’s Volunteer Corps (RELA) members and the police barred them from entering the compound of the stadium.

Following that, the unruly fans vented their disgruntlement against the Penang Football Association and began hurling mineral bottles and fireworks towards the RELA and the policemen on duty at the stadium’s entrance.

The aggressive behaviour of the group forced the Federal Reserve Unit (FRU) to fire tear gas canisters and order them to disperse from the area.

Meanwhile, South Seberang Perai deputy police chief DSP Shamsuddin Mamat, who was also at the scene, said the situation was under control and the group was instructed to disperse – adding that no arrests were made.

Penang failed again to grab their first three points in the league due the defeat. Sarawak’s Mark Andrew Hartmann scored the winner in the 71st minute.

Meanwhile, Kedah have overthrown Pahang as leaders of the Super League table when they blasted the East Coast team 4-1 at Darul Aman Stadium in Alor Setar last night.

Kedah are leading with eight points while Pahang are in second spot on better goal difference despite sharing seven points with Perak and T-Team after four matches.

The Red Eagles opened scoring through Baddrol Bakhtiar just before the first half whistle and Danish import, Ken Ilso Larsen doubled the score in the 66th minite followed by Muhammad Farhan Roslan eight minutes later.

Pahang reduced the deficit via their Brazillian import Matheus Alves Leandro in the 89th minute while Larsen made it 4-1 for Kedah, one minute later.

At Tun Abdul Razak Stadium, a late goal by Lebanese import Mohammed Mahmoud Ghaddar in the 89th minute helped Kelantan to beat Felda United 2-1.

The Red Warriors had opened scoring in the 33rd minute via Indra Putra Mahayuddin but Liberian import Zah Rahan Krangar equalised for Felda United in the dying minutes of the first half.

Defending champions, Johor Darul Ta’zim (JDT) were forced to share a point with Selangor when both teams played to a goalless draw at Tan Sri Hassan Yunos Stadium in Larkin.

Meanwhile, T-Team edged 2016 Premier League champions, Melaka United 2-1 at Hang Jebat Stadium with an early goal by Malian import Mamadou Samassa in the fourth minute while another import player Uzbekistan, Farhod Tadjiyev put T-Team two up, 10 minutes later.

South Korean import Jeon Woo-young pulled one goal back for Melaka in the 47th minute.

At the State Stadium in Batu Kawan, Sarawak snatched a 1-0 victory against hosts Penang when Filipino import Mark Andrew Hartmann scored the only goal of the match in the 71st minute.

Earlier, Super League newbies, PKNS FC were in top form when they thrashed Perak 3-0 at Shah Alam Stadium.

PKNS FC benefitted from goals by their Argentinian import Lucas Sebastian Espindola who scored twice, in the 45th and 47th minutes, and national striker Mohd Safee Sali in the 85th minute.



How do you like the new site

Leave your feedback here.

Have a story worth sharing?

Send us your details here.

Copyright © 2015 The Rakyat Post

Terms of Use ›   Privacy Policy ›   Contact ›