Close Share

PUBLISHED: Jun 10, 2017 11:31am

Smoke at hospital lobby due to burning batteries


Source: Bernama Source:

Adjust Font Size:

KUALA LUMPUR, 10 June 2017:

Thick smoke seen billowing from the Pusrawi Hospital in Jalan Tun Razak here yesterday was due to 24 batteries stored in a ground floor support room which caught fire.

Titiwangsa Fire and Rescue Department operations chief Danian Abdul Razak said they received a distress call from the public at 1.58pm.

On arrival at the site, he said firefighters noticed thick smoke coming from a ground floor room near the hospital’s lobby area.

“After an inspection, we found 24 backup batteries to supply electricity to the mortuary had caught fire. We are still investigating the cause of fire.”

A hospital staff who only wants to be known as Melati, 21, said she rushed out of the hospital building after hearing the fire alarm at 1.30pm.

“I didn’t know what was happening. The alarm was ringing and we were directed to vacate the building immediately.

“The situation grew chaotic and it was only later that I gathered there was a fire on the ground floor lobby.”



How do you like the new site

Leave your feedback here.

Have a story worth sharing?

Send us your details here.

Copyright © 2015 The Rakyat Post

Terms of Use ›   Privacy Policy ›   Contact ›