Close Share

PUBLISHED: Apr 13, 2017 9:14am

Bad idea – lighting a cigarette in the toilet

a young man smoking a cigarette

Source: Bernama Source:
Bernama

Adjust Font Size:

KUANTAN, 13 April 2017:

A man sustained facial injuries in a minor explosion, believed to have been triggered after he had lit a cigarette at a hotel toilet in Genting Highlands near here yesterday.

Initial checks revealed the 11am explosion could have been caused by gaseous reaction involving the septic tank and the cigarette lighter.

The unidentified victim, in his 40s, was warded at the Selayang Hospital – where his condition was described as stable.

Genting Highlands Fire and Rescue Department chief senior supt Yusri Abdullah Sani said a team of firemen found the injured victim in the toilet with injuries on the face.

He said the impact of the explosion damaged the nearby walls, ceiling and area located within a 5m radius of the toilet.

“Initial investigations revealed the toilet was used by the hotel’s staff and was located at the base of the hotel. However, it was currently not in use due to maintenance work.

“We have not ruled out the possibility the explosion was caused by reaction of gas from a septic tank and flame from the cigarette lighter.”

Meanwhile in IPOH, an elderly married couple sustained burns when a gas stove in a room – converted into a sauna – at their house caught fire yesterday.

The 71-year-old man and his 63-year-old wife sustained burns on the face, hands and feet in the 1pm incident which occurred in Kampung Datuk Ahmad Said Tambahan 3 here.

In a statement, Meru Raya Fire and Rescue Department operations chief, Mohd Fauzi Hashim @ Nazri said the victims were warded at the Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hopital here.

LATEST CONTENT

LEAVE US YOUR FEEDBACK

How do you like the new site

Leave your feedback here.

Have a story worth sharing?

Send us your details here.

Copyright © 2015 The Rakyat Post

Terms of Use ›   Privacy Policy ›   Contact ›