Close Share

PUBLISHED: May 18, 2014 6:47pm

89-year-old did not die from MERS-CoV

MERS_M

SEAN AUGUSTIN By:
Sean Augustin

MERS-CoV emerged in the Middle East in 2012 and is from the same family as the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) virus.

Adjust Font Size:

KUALA LUMPUR, May 18:

The Health Ministry has ruled out the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-coronavirus (MERS-CoV) as the cause of death of an 89-year-old woman who returned from Jeddah two days ago.

Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah, however, said the ministry was still trying to determine the cause of death although the preliminary post-mortem results indicated she died from pneumonia.

“As she just returned from Jeddah, we tested her for MERS-CoV and it came out negative,” Dr Noor said in a statement this evening.

The deceased had a fever, cough and breathing difficulties when performing her umrah (pilgrimage).

She was also believed to be asthmatic with high blood pressure and heart problems.

The octogenarian, however, did not seek treatment.

MERS-CoV emerged in the Middle East in 2012 and is from the same family as the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) virus.

MERS-CoV can cause coughing, fever and pneumonia.

At least 520 cases have been recorded in Saudi Arabia since MERS appeared in the country in 2012 and it is the world’s worst-hit country with 163 deaths so far.

Other nations, including Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, the Netherlands, the UAE and the US, have also recorded cases, mostly in people who had been to Saudi Arabia.

LATEST CONTENT

LEAVE US YOUR FEEDBACK

How do you like the new site

Leave your feedback here.

Have a story worth sharing?

Send us your details here.

Copyright © 2015 The Rakyat Post

Terms of Use ›   Privacy Policy ›   Contact ›