KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 27, 2015:
The police has deemed the “Kita Lawan” campaign, which was scheduled for tomorrow, as no go.
Dang Wangi district police chief Assistant Commissioner Zainol Samah said no applications were submitted by the campaign organisers during a meeting held today between the police and the organisers of the campaign.
“The gathering, set for Feb 28 and March 7, 2015 as stated on the campaign’s Facebook page, did not get any approval from the Dang Wangi police chief.”
“No applications were submitted as required by the law,” Zainol said in a brief statement today.
He also warned the public from participating in the gathering, which had now been deemed as illegal.
“Any person found participating in this illegal gathering can face the brunt of the currently existing laws.”
Angkatan Muda Keadilan (AMK) chief Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad had previously said that the gathering would go ahead as scheduled, following meetings with the police.
He had said that the police were aware of the gathering at the stipulated location and would be monitoring its progress.
“The police has been notified and would monitor the safety and traffic as usual during the gathering tomorrow and on March 7,” Nik Nazmi said.
The PKR Youth chief said the gathering had targeted as many people as possible, especially youths, to gather peacefully against the highly controversial Feb 10 Federal Court ruling against incarcerated Opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.
In a statement on their Facebook page following the meeting with the cops today, Kita Lawan secretariat expressed their feelings that there would be no objections by the police for the rally goers to exercise their rights to gather peacefully.